Farming equipment and big agra business.....

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
Farmers Fight John Deere Over Who Gets to Fix an $800,000 Tractor
The right-to-repair movement has come to the heartland, where some farmers are demanding access to the software that runs their equipment.

This article takes a few minutes to read but is well worth the time. I see two problems here; number one issue to me is Government interference in emissions forcing the machine to shut down if a fault is detected coupled with the unholy alliance of big bucks business with elected masters essentially turning the "owner" in to a glorified renter of the equipment. If you buy it you should own it. If you want to run it to the redline and beyond that is your business and none of Deere's or Gubmint's.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2020-03-05/farmers-fight-john-deere-over-who-gets-to-fix-an-800-000-tractor

Nothing new, even some autos while complying with set mandated standards put own software so normal readers etc cannot read or do any writing, they want to force you to use them.

Vote with your feet.

Re build older equipment, or refuse to buy such machinery without being supplied the diagnostic equipment to work on it.

If there was enough volume, someone would make aftermarket diagnostic gear, that is the real issue.

Yeah, but they do not have to play that game if people are handing over the money without making that a deal breaker, or they would be supplying it, right ?

I do not want anything that expensive and technical if I had a bunch of non technical farm hands, I would keep older stuff in service, or, make the purchase hinge on them maintaining it in the field at no extra cost or something.

Large companies prob do not care and just accept it as an operating cost, if the tech on the tractor saves lots of extra hrs or increases production by that much, maybe it is a non issue for those using it.

Anyways, as above, they do it cause they can and all others playing the same song sheet....

Latest posts