Farmers Markets

Help Support CattleToday:

We have several and they have all gone to organic and the such. Friends of ours sell at one and their eggs are $6 a dozen. They usually have around 70 dozen and sell out most weeks. One of the other big deals is selling to restaurants. We have a fairly new law that allows the little guys to do that. We go when the wife wants cheese.

I enjoy them. They're expensive if you're going to buy stuff, but it usually goes to a small farmer who does things organically. They also have a ton of other things at ours around here, clothes, art, etc. They're pretty interesting.

Most towns have them here too. I have sold corn and pumpkins at ours years ago. May start again. There are a few produce auctions
around the area too.

We have a produce auction. You can buy bushels and bushels of vegetables cheap. People buy their, and take it to the farmers market to sell. Kinda funny actually.

Side note-----You could sell all the sweet corn you could raise here no problem.

We have had one here for a couple of decades. Lots of variety and reasonable prices. Problem is no one wants to look after the organization of it all anymore, so it is shutting down after Easter and being sold off. I don't think I have been in it anymore than 5 times in my life. It is a popular destination for older folk and the healthy-living people. Professionals, working class and young people were not common to it. http://www.clovervalleyfarmersmarket.ca/index.php

The replacement of it is going to be an online sale community market. People put in their orders online on the weekend and pickup their order on Tuesday. Everything from crafts to pies, meat, vegetables.

Bigfoot":3sckyut4 said:
We have a produce auction. You can buy bushels and bushels of vegetables cheap. People buy their, and take it to the farmers market to sell. Kinda funny actually.

Side note-----You could sell all the sweet corn you could raise here no problem.

The 2 produce auctions that I have been to, seem to be managed by Amish. The one in Bath County didn't start out like that but has been the last few years. They are interesting to go too, and it has really grown. I planted a lot of beans for the fall last year, and thought about taking some of them, but we ended up canning a lot, and letting friends pick some too.

Ky hills":8mf5tvqm said:
Bigfoot":8mf5tvqm said:

The 2 produce auctions that I have been to, seem to be managed by Amish. The one in Bath County didn't start out like that but has been the last few years. They are interesting to go too, and it has really grown. I planted a lot of beans for the fall last year, and thought about taking some of them, but we ended up canning a lot, and letting friends pick some too.

I'll never raise a garden, as long as we have this one here.

Latest posts