Farmers and brewers united in fight against new FDA rule

Help Support CattleToday:

NCLiz 3

Reaction score
The FDA's proposal would require breweries to dry and package the spent grain leftover from the beer brewing process before it could be given to farmers to use as feed.
http://www.wcsh6.com/story/news/local/p ... t/6971559/

This is BS!
Brewers grain has been used for cattle feed for decades with no problems.
Unlike ethanol by products that has killed hundreds of heads of cattle and possibly caused the polio like symptoms in children in Ca.
Google: Cattle, PEM ( Polioencephalomalacia )

If anything needs regulating by the FDA, it's ethanol by-products.

Q. Why is the FDA all of a sudden concerned about cattle feed? :???:

Liz

Boy I need me a good Saturday morning pick me up! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We can start with brewers grain being food grade to start, as well as it's entire process, while ethanol is for fuel, so it can have all sorts of contaminants in it... I don't know enough about either process to be able to go further though

NCLiz 3":2nx0uhar said:
The FDA's proposal would require breweries to dry and package the spent grain leftover from the beer brewing process before it could be given to farmers to use as feed.
http://www.wcsh6.com/story/news/local/p ... t/6971559/

This is BS!
Brewers grain has been used for cattle feed for decades with no problems.
Unlike ethanol by products that has killed hundreds of heads of cattle and possibly caused the polio like symptoms in children in Ca.
Google: Cattle, PEM ( Polioencephalomalacia )

If anything needs regulating by the FDA, it's ethanol by-products.

Q. Why is the FDA all of a sudden concerned about cattle feed? :???:

Liz
Does sound a bit stupid. This is about BREWERS GRAIN..The left over grain from the production of BEER....It has absolutely nothing to do with DISTILLERS GRAIN which is the leftover grain etc. from distilling whiskey and production of ethanol.

How is a brewery supposed to dry the spent grain? I get 23 tons per load. It is hot, fresh from the brewery. I have scooped up a handful and rated it. Not bad tasting, just bland.

Its the same thing, don't matter if its from beer or whiskey. Whiskey is mostly made from corn and barley. But can be made out of wheat or rye. Beer has a little more stuff in the mash than whiskey. Both start with a mash. The liquid is pulled off the grain mash before brewing or distilling. Only difference is what grains is used.

Tim/South":3igid7vs said:
How is a brewery supposed to dry the spent grain? I get 23 tons per load. It is hot, fresh from the brewery. I have scooped up a handful and rated it. Not bad tasting, just bland.
Tim we fed it for years to dairy cattle. Delivered and fed wet. Has moisture content about like silage.

Red Bull Breeder":3e5l8naa said:
Its the same thing, don't matter if its from beer or whiskey. Whiskey is mostly made from corn and barley. But can be made out of wheat or rye. Beer has a little more stuff in the mash than whiskey. Both start with a mash. The liquid is pulled off the grain mash before brewing or distilling. Only difference is what grains is used.

RB sulfuric acid is used during the process of making ethanol, thus the elevated sulfur levels in DDG from the ethanol industry.

April 11, 2014 11:59 pm  •  By the Journal Star editorial board

The Food and Drug Administration wisely has backed off on its plans to issue new regulations on the handling of spent grain from craft brewers.
The federal agency has issued multiple statements to quiet the national backlash that erupted over its reported plans to crack down on the longtime practice of brewers to give or sell the spent grains to farmers to feed to livestock....
http://journalstar.com/news/opinion/edi ... 73bb8.html

Now isn't that interesting!

I wonder if the " friend of the court letter " from TTT expressing the need for any new regulation to cover all distillers grains, including ethanol by-products, had anything to do with the FDA doing a 180 on this issue.
SL

Food Safety Modernization Act. The idea was since spent grain was being used as livestock feed, it should be carefully regulated to ensure the safety of America's food supply.
The FDA received more than 2,000 comments from farmers and brewers in opposition to the new regulations, and a U.S. senator even got involved. On Thursday the government agency said it heard the cries and will revise the original plans in an updated proposal due this summer. In a statement to beer industry new website Brewbound.com, the FDA said:
"We anticipated some of these issues when we requested comment on the proposed rule and are already reviewing the extensive input received from brewers and others.  We recognize this is an area that should be addressed and will reach out to those concerned. We are working to develop regulations that are responsive to the concerns expressed, practical for businesses, and that also help ensure that food for animals is safe and will not cause injury to animals or humans."

http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/l ... z2ymQmKiFD

Latest posts