Farmall 656 cuts out

Help Support CattleToday:

SBMF 2015

Reaction score
I have a Farmall 656 gas that is permanently hooked to a feed wagon. Normally it runs great with just a few little quirks.
In the last couple weeks it has started acting up, when it gets to normal operating temp it wants to cut out. And when you restart it runs on only 3-4 cylinders. Shut it off, restart holding the started button a little longer and it starts and runs smooth.
I wanted some ideas before I start tearing in to it.
I am not a fan of gas tractors, but I knew the history on this one and had seen it start and feed cattle on days that the high was -10.
Thanks everyone.

hard to tell from the description if it's a fuel or ignition problem, but I'd start with the usual culprits... plugs, plug wires, cap, and rotor.. check carb (make sure any vents on it aren't plugged!)... etc

I have a special loathing of gas tractors

Probably should start with a tune up if it's been a while. Cap, rotor, plugs, wires, points. Coil is a possibility too.

Would be a good idea to check the fuel system as well, make sure it isn't restricted somewhere.

I always thought coils either worked or didn't, no inbetween. I put new plugs in last summer. I need to pull one and see what it looks like. Points are a strong possibility.
It gets fuel. I cleaned the sedament bowl. I use premium gas and Heet. I don't think fuel is the issue.

SBMF 2015 said:
I always thought coils either worked or didn't, no inbetween. I put new plugs in last summer. I need to pull one and see what it looks like. Points are a strong possibility.
It gets fuel. I cleaned the sedament bowl. I use premium gas and Heet. I don't think fuel is the issue.

I had a coil check good on both sides the other day, and still replaces it. Tractor ran.

I called it the right magic names this morning, pushed the button and it fired right up. Fed silage and never had any issues. That just makes me more confused. Could the coil or a connection expand when it gets warm and causes a short?

SBMF 2015 said:
I called it the right magic names this morning, pushed the button and it fired right up. Fed silage and never had any issues. That just makes me more confused. Could the coil or a connection expand when it gets warm and causes a short?

Coils can fail intermittently, when hot, pretty much any way you can imagine. Unfortunately there is no good way to test them either, aside from it quitting altogether with no spark, then you can confirm the bad coil by process of elimination.

Well, it's been a bit. I've had the carburetor rebuild, New coil, New wires, new distributor, New rotar, New points. Haven't solved the problem yet. I'm sure it's simple, just haven't found it yet. About ready to call someone to come out and work on it.

Could it be an alternator/generator/ voltage regulator issue? Just throwing that out there. Maybe check voltage across battery when it is acting up. Maybe a ground issue? Maybe check voltage of battery/coil positive to frame when acting up.

Latest posts