• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Farm Diesel Storage

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
If you were redoing your farm diesel storage setup, what route would you go down currently? Let's assume something in the 250-500 gallon range, more or less.

Anyone used a plastic/synthetic tank for diesel storage?

Thanks.

jltrent

Reaction score
My tank is 500 gallons metal and sets out in the weather. My tank sweats and the heat from summer probably degrades the diesel with what little I know. A good heavy plastic tank with a shelter over it would be better or possibly buried. I try to change the fuel filters on diesel equipment often to help prevent fuel system damage. Also add a good fuel treatment/lube to help with the low sulfur fuel.

Also I have locks on the tank as it is accessed easy from the road.

Last edited:

TennesseeTuxedo

Grass Farmer
Reaction score
I relocated our old 500 gallon metal tank into an old concrete milk barn we use just for storage these days. I think it's better off that exposed to the elements. Plastic is probably fine too but I sure wouldn't leave it outside.

Ky hills

Reaction score
I'm using an old metal 250 gallon tank that has been outside for years. I figure at some point it will need replacing. At that point will probably go back with the same kind of set up if its an option.

bird dog

Reaction score
Mine is an old Butane tank on the ground exposed to the elements. I do like Trent does and put in a Diesel treatment and use a water filter separator combo. I still watch the tractor water separator closely but so far have not had problems.

Lucky

Reaction score
Ordered a DT200 with the 13gpm pump from LeeAgra last week. Looks like a good setup and can be loaded on a pick up while full of fuel. Hopefully it’ll do the trick and make things easier.

Ky hills

Reaction score
They run from $50 to $125 each at farm auctions. The hoses are usually rotted off on the cheaper ones.

I currently have six. Do I need a special permit?
The one I’m using is one my parents used they probably bought it around 50 years ago. To my knowledge the hose has been replaced once a out 20 some years ago and is still in good shape on this one. I don’t know about how it is where you are, but I have a permit so I would think that if we have them here most other places would too. I came across the permit the other day is only reason I even remember any thing about it. It’s never been checked or asked about.

TCRanch

Reaction score
Portable on a trailer with a pump. I'll never do overhead tanks again.
On a waaaaay smaller scale (100 gal), just bought a fuel tank, pump & 16' trailer (to also haul the Polaris'). Dang pump cost as much as the tank. But it will make life easier.

littletom

Reaction score
I have 300 gallon overhead don't like it to slow to fill. And a 550 on the ground with electric pump and gauge says how much used i like this set up. Here they are provided by your fuel company just have to use so many gallons a year.

Brute 23

Brute 23
CT Supporter
Reaction score
On a waaaaay smaller scale (100 gal), just bought a fuel tank, pump & 16' trailer (to also haul the Polaris'). Dang pump cost as much as the tank. But it will make life easier.
That's the set up I have. Put it on front of an old flat bed trailer. It's just right to leave some hydraulic fluid and misc tool and has room for a sxs or tractor buckets, spears, etc.

I would like to have a larger tank on wheels to keep less on hand but just run and get it as needed.

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Mine is steel tank, at least 40 years old in barn. It’s 300 gallon, electric pump on it.
Every time it’s refilled I treat it with bio clean.

SmokinM

Reaction score
Got two steel 275’s one for on road one for off. I keep filters on them both. Local oil company set them up and keeps them full. I have a tractor here that has 1700 hrs. on it that has only had fuel from this company put in it since new. Has yet to have water or a piece of trash in the separator on it. I have a L style transfer tank on my truck with the same basic setup.

Inside would be nice but always seems to lead to accessibility issues. Black plastic may be ok but wouldn’t want any parts of anything translucent. I do have mine sitting on a concrete pad which is nice to clean up any spill and easy to see if a tank were to start leaking. More storage would be nice in SHTF situation but only so much prepping one can do and keeping it fresh worries me too.

TCRanch

Reaction score
That's the set up I have. Put it on front of an old flat bed trailer. It's just right to leave some hydraulic fluid and misc tool and has room for a sxs or tractor buckets, spears, etc.

I would like to have a larger tank on wheels to keep less on hand but just run and get it as needed.
Hubby took it to fill up today and the station automatically cuts off farm diesel at $150. Okay, then! Note to self: take it in at half or go someplace else.