Fancy Bear

Help Support CattleToday:

Nice pics. We have a pretty good population here but I have never seen or heard of any of the color phases occurring here for some reason. Pretty good size for a sow too.

I think he has grizzles there. Reason for the color and size difference

I thought about that but head and body shape look pretty black bearish to me. Also she is pretty high in that tree and I have always been told grizzlies don't climb but that may not be true.

I know certain parts of Canada have plenty of black bears that color. Not sure about where he is. You have done a lot of bear hunting here too, have you ever seen any color phase ones in VA?

Never seen one that color is why I thought grizzly.
Part of the hunters were running bear on our lease yesterday evening. Too hot and too many snakes for me.

We have plenty of those various colored black bears. There is a sow up on the back of my place who blonde with a touch of orange to her color. Very brightly colored. Her two cubs are black as coal. I have never had a camera when I have seen her.

Few years ago my wife saw a cub from a distance that had some white on its neck. At first she thought it was a little mottled face BWF calf.

The bear in the pics is a black bear. We do have grizzlies here but very few around home. I'm not real big on big bear populations, but do like seeing the different colour phases and markings. I think I posted a pic of this bear last year, the Care Bear. He's here again this year too:75F99152-A02D-40B0-BA6D-53C49778F139.jpeg
Standing oats seem to draw bears from a large area. After I get these oats baled up the crowds should disperse.

I thought about that but head and body shape look pretty black bearish to me. Also she is pretty high in that tree and I have always been told grizzlies don't climb but that may not be true.

I know certain parts of Canada have plenty of black bears that color. Not sure about where he is. You have done a lot of bear hunting here too, have you ever seen any color phase ones in VA?
Grizzlies do not climb trees. The bears are black bears. The face on the adult in the tree is a black bear's face.

Never seen a grizzly but even the large black bears rarely climb a tree. If the dogs chase a big one they will back up against a rock or tree and start hurting dogs.

Never seen a grizzly but even the large black bears rarely climb a tree. If the dogs chase a big one they will back up against a rock or tree and start hurting dogs.
Out here they are called "a walking bear", they won't tree, and they know when you are getting close and off they go. And yes they are hard on dogs. I kept my dogs off bear.

Out here they are called "a walking bear", they won't tree, and they know when you are getting close and off they go. And yes they are hard on dogs. I kept my dogs off bear.
We have bear dogs so they get in trouble sometimes. We have problems later in the year with them wanting to chase bull elk. Not sure why just bulls unless it's a rut smell. We're getting them broke from that slowly.

Never seen one that color is why I thought grizzly.
Part of the hunters were running bear on our lease yesterday evening. Too hot and too many snakes for me.
Yeah a little warm still and saw a timber rattler big as my arm last weekend trail riding. Think I will wait a bit. Pretty silly when you think about it will get face to face with a bear in a hole but wont chase them because we might step on a snake!😂

Latest posts