Family Tragedy

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Drove past aunt Rose's house the other day and it reminded me of an incident that happened several years ago that I thought I'd share with ya'll. It's kinda sad but at the same time there has been enough time gone by that it is also humorous.

Aunt Rose called to let us know that Uncle Alvah was "no longer with us". Hence, phone calls were made and everyone ran to the kitchens to make pies, cakes, casseroles etc. to bring to the house as this is our custom. Flowers were purchased and cars were loaded with all these gifts and we headed to Rose's house which was a twenty minute drive from the house. Our little caravan consisted of about ten or so people all dressed up in our Sunday best. Upon arrival, we walked in the house bearing our bounty and offered our condolenses. Before we could finish offering our sympathies, who should jump out from the kitchen but Uncle Alvah! He was in his underwear and was - not dead - but crazy due to a stroke or something. And yes, Aunt Rose was right, "he was no longer with us".

He had always been a jokester and I guess this was his finale' since he died shortly there after. I hope this doesn't sound as though I'm making fun of a serious mishap cause I don't mean to. I'm pretty sure Alvah wouldn't mind my telling this either if it got a laugh or made someone's day more cheerful cause that is who is was and how he lived. He was a good fella.

jo sorry for your lose .. im sure you all will miss the shaninagns he pulled .
i work at a nursing home you wouldnt belive the storys...some of the residents come off w.. got one ol guy who thinks he casanova ... what a "play'ar" LOL i have a good time at work but you never know what is gonna happen next.. we re all waiting for the ol horn dog to figure out there is an retired x hooker 4 doors down LOL... Rose

Sorry for your loss Jo. I wouldn't think your uncle would be upset for telling his story. I can imagine your suprise to see him.

Joy "OF" Texas. Is that the same as Joy In Texas? Did you leave us all alone in this state?

Jo. Sorry for your loss. I washed the car, got everything ready for Dad's funeral, and asked the wife to put gas in the car when she went to town. She forgot. I didn't notice during the time of grief. Ran out of gas in the midst of the funeral with all of Dad's siblings there from out of town and many of my siblings in the car with me. Friends and family for days all in the precession. How embarassing. The wife was so sorry for not doing her part. It is funny now but it was terrible at the time.

backhoeboogie":fy35tb77 said:
Joy "OF" Texas. Is that the same as Joy In Texas? Did you leave us all alone in this state?

Jo. Sorry for your loss. I washed the car, got everything ready for Dad's funeral, and asked the wife to put gas in the car when she went to town. She forgot. I didn't notice during the time of grief. Ran out of gas in the midst of the funeral with all of Dad's siblings there from out of town and many of my siblings in the car with me. Friends and family for days all in the precession. How embarassing. The wife was so sorry for not doing her part. It is funny now but it was terrible at the time.
Yes, it's me ....

heh - good story. I know how time can change the story from sad or tragic to funny. I have a few of Grampa and his darn 45 pistol. There was that time when he lost it (AGAIN) and we had to spend the whole morning tearing the house apart looking for it.
He finally found it himself after about 4 hours of panic.

ready?
in his boot. That he was WEARING. :roll:

Jogeephus":bmqrpc6w said:
Drove past aunt Rose's house the other day and it reminded me of an incident that happened several years ago that I thought I'd share with ya'll. It's kinda sad but at the same time there has been enough time gone by that it is also humorous.

Aunt Rose called to let us know that Uncle Alvah was "no longer with us". Hence, phone calls were made and everyone ran to the kitchens to make pies, cakes, casseroles etc. to bring to the house as this is our custom. Flowers were purchased and cars were loaded with all these gifts and we headed to Rose's house which was a twenty minute drive from the house. Our little caravan consisted of about ten or so people all dressed up in our Sunday best. Upon arrival, we walked in the house bearing our bounty and offered our condolenses. Before we could finish offering our sympathies, who should jump out from the kitchen but Uncle Alvah! He was in his underwear and was - not dead - but crazy due to a stroke or something. And yes, Aunt Rose was right, "he was no longer with us".

He had always been a jokester and I guess this was his finale' since he died shortly there after. I hope this doesn't sound as though I'm making fun of a serious mishap cause I don't mean to. I'm pretty sure Alvah wouldn't mind my telling this either if it got a laugh or made someone's day more cheerful cause that is who is was and how he lived. He was a good fella.

Sorry for your loss but that is quite funny, and as far as him being upset that you shared it, the truth is if he was the jokester he'd be upset if his last prank went unnoticed.....

I'm glad I didn't catch any grief from posting this. As ya'll pointed out, it was sad at the moment but its hilarious when time mended the loss. The look on some of the women's faces was priceless when they first saw him jump our from the kitchen. I remember my grandma saying "well GD, there's ..." and she rarely ever used that word and probably used up three bars of soap washing other's mouths out who dared to use it in her presence.

One thing is for sure, he went out happy - what more could one want.