False heat - seen more after breeding when you sync?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bobg

Reaction score
Just an observation I've made with my few cows. I've always just went ahead and used Lutlyse (sp?) on my heifers and have notice that about 75% of the time they exhibit false heat after AI'ing. Has anyone else seen this or is it just mine?

Bobg

We have had false heats on syncs. Our experience with synch is 1/3 take. We avoid synching as much as possible.

Farmgirl

No - never. Are you sure they were in heat after the Lut shot? Lut only works at certain times of their cycle. If you miss-timed your shot, they would be coming into a NORMAL heat 7-14 days after shot - which would be when they should be bred AI.

Bobg":308b3wbs said:
Just an observation I've made with my few cows. I've always just went ahead and used Lutlyse (sp?) on my heifers and have notice that about 75% of the time they exhibit false heat after AI'ing. Has anyone else seen this or is it just mine?

Bobg
i doubt if they was false heats at all.when you sync cows or heifers you watch for heats.an breed those showing signs of heat.an time breed the rest of the set day.the heifers you seen was actully in heat.you shouldve went a head an breed them.

Be sure to understand how the sync works don't just give a shot and expect it to be right. A CL has to be present or PGF2a has no effect. Aftre feeding MGA there is an infertil heat that is detect from day 15-22 do not breed to these heat detections. What synhk methods did you use?

I probably didn't work my post quite right. The one's that I gave the Lutalyze to were AI"d when they came into heat 3 to 5 days after the shot. They then showed signs of cycling approx. 21 days after they were AI'd. They were preg checked at 90 days and they all took and went on to have a calf.

Bobg

Jeanne,

They were in standing heat. The first time I notices it I talked to the guy that AI'd my heifers. He said he's seen it quite a bit, I doubted him. I asked him to come out and preg test them three months later and he said they were bred. They calved 9 months later. When I took a AI class at Washington State Univ. I asked the professor and he said he's seen it off and on, but hasn't had time to really investigate it.

Bobg

There's a possibilty that you notice it more because you;re paying more attention to it. I've frequently seen heifers that are bred act bully when their cycles are do but they won;t stand to be ridden but they'll chin and half heartedly make like they're going to mount others. Have on right now that every 19 days messes around like that, the last time she was trying to mount the bull. She's been bred is June.

dun

now some cows an heifers will have silent heats.an when they have silent heats you cant see the visable signs of heat.alot of people will sync the silent heats.an then time breed them.

Latest posts