Fall Vaccination program for calves...

Help Support CattleToday:

cornstalk

Reaction score
Hey board:

Had a pretty reputable indivdual explain a pretty interesting vaccination program to me the other day. Wanted to see what the general consensus was here.

I hit my calves with Ultrabac 7 and Decto Inject last spring. I've been told to hit them with multiple shots now this fall in order to achieve maximum results/protection.

I was told to administer Bovi Shield Gold 5, One shot, Ultrabac 7/ Somubac and the Decto pour on. All three vaccines!

Normally, I would just adminster the Ultrabac 7 / somubac and Decto pour on.

What do you make of this? Anybody do this ? Results ?

I did have 2 come down with pneumonia last winter...thats kind of what brought the conversation about.

At weaning, we give Ultrabac 8, Virashield 6 + VL5, and Nasalgen. Wean them in the corral for two weeks, give another shot of Virashield, worm them and kick them back out in hay fields.

At birth we give selenium and 8 way

At branding, we give another shot of 8way.

It costs roughly $5 to $10 per calf through weaning, but if we don't have to catch them and doctor until we sell in January/February, it's worth it. Last year we didn't doctor anything from weaning to sale time.

FWIW I'm using Bovi-Shield Gold 5, Ultra 8 and a pour on wormer. That has been our program for four or five years. Has been effective.

In our stocker program we have the very simular vac. program as you have explained. On arrival the calves get privervectin pour on ultrabac 7/somubac, PSV2 and a pinkeye vac. 21 Days latter they get castrated if needed and Bovi Sheild Gold 5 and One Shot. So far this has worked very well.

This is the protocol followed by us for retained ownership.

BRANDING;

Bovishield Gold, Vision-7

PRE-WEANING;

Bovishield Gold, Vision-7 and Pulmogard[pasturella]

WEANING;

Nasalgen, Panac'ur and poured with Ivomec

Latest posts