Fall Hay Planting

Help Support CattleToday:

ArrowHBrand":2kborpc0 said:
Is it effective to plant grass hay in the fall or better to plant it in the spring?

I've never had any success in the fall. PLanted some OG last fall and nothing came up so I planted brome in the field this spring. I drilled them at a cross from each other. The brome is coming up and so is the OG.

ArrowHBrand":2l46j2oc said:
Is it effective to plant grass hay in the fall or better to plant it in the spring?

It is if you plant when the soil temperature is below 2 C to prevent germination. But as dun said, its still better to plant in the spring.

its the exact oppisite where I'm at. you have to plant cool season grass, alfalfa, clover.

ArrowHBrand":1dl5jtx0 said:

Depends on the weather and the type of grass.

Spring moisture is much more reliable in this part of the country.

I only use fall seeding on lower ground that you can not work in the spring.

We planted some pernial rye, brome and a few other grass type mix last fall in about early september.It wasn't a big area though so we watered it and got about an ich of rain on it. It was about 1 1/2 ft tall by the end of september when we kicked calves into it. It depends how much moisture you get and such. Talk to the company you are buying the seed fro madn tehn decide when you wnat to plant it after you have gotten information on when.

Latest posts