Fakefords, what are they? Are they registered Herefords?

Help Support CattleToday:

meganoleary72

Reaction score
I want to breed my purebred Hereford heifer to one of Carpe Diem's calves but read that he was labelled as a "Fakeford", the calf is called Deadliest Catch Skinner he is crossed with Carpe Diem and BR Channing. I need to be able to register the calf as a purebred through the Hereford association, so is that possible to do so? Also has anyone bred to Deadliest Catch Skinner I cannot find an EPD on him.

He looks like a Hereford but is a crossbred bull. You cannot register as a Hereford. It would be like a Black Hereford. It's called a Hereford, but it isn't a Hereford. Carpe Diem is used in the club calf area where most anything goes.

Lot of Hereford wannabes in the club calf industry. True Hereford herdbook is closed, it means no outside blood or crossbreds are allowed in the herdbook.

In the future, I'd suggest all questions about registering any particular animal are directed to the particular bred association.

Good luck to you and welcome to the boards.

WalnutCrest":372f4ff3 said:
In the future, I'd suggest all questions about registering any particular animal are directed to the particular bred association.

In the case of Herefords there is no need, unless both parents can be traced back on both lines to herdbook volume 13 without any outside influence the said animal is not a Hereford, simple as that.

KNERSIE":g7mtul88 said:
WalnutCrest":g7mtul88 said:

In the case of Herefords there is no need, unless both parents can be traced back on both lines to herdbook volume 13 without any outside influence the said animal is not a Hereford, simple as that.

...and if someone doesn't know if a particular animal is in the herd book, to ensure an accurate answer, they should check with the registry...

WalnutCrest":2ihc5z82 said:
KNERSIE":2ihc5z82 said:
WalnutCrest":2ihc5z82 said:

...and if someone doesn't know if a particular animal is in the herd book, to ensure an accurate answer, they should check with the registry...

The bull in question is the son of a clubby bred bull, out of a Herford x Maine cow I believe, so why would I want to direct the question to the Hereford association?

I checked him out, he's available through atleast two different semen services. Good looking animal.

The OP was asking about whether or not an animal could be registered. The registry should be a better source than a general purpose massage board. That's all I am trying to say.

Yep, In the clubby world, a Fakeford: Is a crossbred, club animal that happens to have traditional Hereford markings. So it looks like a Hereford, but isn't.

WalnutCrest":3unb444v said:
The OP was asking about whether or not an animal could be registered. The registry should be a better source than a general purpose massage board. That's all I am trying to say.
Nothing's wrong with asking questions on here about a particular animal. The OP got his/her answer already quite quickly....

Muddy":wvcnztg7 said:
WalnutCrest":wvcnztg7 said:
Nothing's wrong with asking questions on here about a particular animal. The OP got his/her answer already quite quickly....
I agree muddy a forum is a place for conversation and debate. There is nothing wrong with asking any question. Kinda like a group of guys sitting on a tailgate and somebody ask what the heck is a fakeford? Or say one guy points out in the pasture and says. You see that 900 pound bull calf i just bought. Yall think he can cover those cows? And everybody throws their 2 cents in. :cowboy:

WalnutCrest":nta82cai said:
KNERSIE":nta82cai said:
WalnutCrest":nta82cai said:

Yeh, that sure saves flipping through the pages of a lot of books.
Ken

Latest posts