Fakahatchee Grass

Help Support CattleToday:

brihop

Reaction score
Anyone here in the southeast have experience with establishing Fakahatchee grass (aka Gama grass) as forage in wet areas? If so, how has it worked out and did you find it to be a good forage?

I have been doing some experimenting with Eastern Gamma Grass, which I think is the same thing. My neighbor has a hay field of it and it does very will with very little fertilizer requirements. The stubble will give you a rough ride but I beleive the benefits out weigh that problem. I will be planting some this spring with a corn planter. This will put it in 3 foot rows which will make it a bit easier to drive through.
Putting it in rows will also enable me to use cultivators during the first year of establishment.
For pasture it is an excellent grass but it must be properly managed or the cattle will kill it out by overgrazing, as they prefer it to most other grasses.
Germination can be a problem. I don't know about your particular verity but the research I have done says the best results are had by 3 months of cold stratification before planting.

yep, same grass, likes it moist, & yes, access control is crucial. also read that if you put it in fridge to prime it probably good to get seed treated w/fungicide. found it bulk for $26/lb... u find any cheaper?

Latest posts