Fair wage for neighborly help

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
If you were going to be gone for a spell, what do you think a fair wage would be for someone to look after things while you were away?

The extent of the work would be minimal since everything has calved, have plenty of hay and fences are in good shape. Basically the job would consist of keeping the hayrings full, checking water troughs and rotating the cows to different paddocks as necessary. Of course, if the cows did get out or something did come up - the person would have to deal with it as though it were their own but will be provided with a list of people they can call if additional help is needed.

Friend and cattleman down the road has offered to do it for nothing since he comes by the place twice a day but I would feel more comfortable paying him something - just don't know what would be fair. Thanks in Advance

Pay them as much as you can afford--- having some happy willing backup is worth a fortune.
Better yet(unless they are strapped for cash) find something they need- and get it for them. That way when they use it they'll think of how much you valued what they did for you.

Gave the neighbors kid an old truck for helping me out one summer when hubby got injured. His Dad said no money- It was neighbor helping neighbor. Sure did make us all happy to see that kid tooling around in that old junker :)

Hard question to answer not knowing the personalities involved, but some people get their reward just from the feeling it gives them being able to help someone out. With this kind of person giving them money would take that away from them.

Maybe you could return the favor just by being a good neighbor to them.

Ryder is right.
I check on my neighbor every day. He is about 75 yrs old. Needs help with just about everything. Especially his memory, forgot to let the cattle back into pasture more than once.
If he ever tried to pay me, I beleive it would hurt my feelings, and I do not know why. I just think it is the right thing to do.
I do not think your neighbor would have offered if he had not really meant it. Just remember, pay him back by helping others.

I would say let your neighbor do what he offers to help, then when you get back.. offer to take them out for a dinner, or return the favor with some work, hay, a calf, or whatever. Its how we do around my place ... neighbors are still good to have around. Specially if they are good ones..:)

Limomike":hpy18s7e said:
I would say let your neighbor do what he offers to help, then when you get back.. offer to take them out for a dinner, or return the favor with some work, hay, a calf, or whatever. Its how we do around my place ... neighbors are still good to have around. Specially if they are good ones..:)
Around here,real neighbors don't expect pay for things like that.We always offer to pay but no one ever takes anything.You make sure you offer to help out with a job,haul cattle, bale hay etc.If they offer or in an emergency usually that's the way its done.If yo u go to them to pre-arrange something like making hay then you expect to pay.

mtncows":15ksrpgz said:
Around here,real neighbors don't expect pay for things like that.We always offer to pay but no one ever takes anything.You make sure you offer to help out with a job,haul cattle, bale hay etc.If they offer or in an emergency usually that's the way its done.If yo u go to them to pre-arrange something like making hay then you expect to pay.

That's pretty much the definition of neighbor. I have a running feud with one neighbor because he alwasy offers to pay, and of course he gets uppity with me when I offer to pay him. But it's all in the humor of the relationship.

dun

dun":1z4vooo4 said:
mtncows":1z4vooo4 said:

That's pretty much the definition of neighbor. I have a running feud with one neighbor because he alwasy offers to pay, and of course he gets uppity with me when I offer to pay him. But it's all in the humor of the relationship.

dun
most neighbors help because they want to.an they dont expect to get paid for what they do.i bet you can offer to help him with his work.or take him out to eat.

bigbull338":22cenkdu said:
dun":22cenkdu said:
mtncows":22cenkdu said:

dun
most neighbors help because they want to.an they dont expect to get paid for what they do.i bet you can offer to help him with his work.or take him out to eat.

You're right bigbull...they help because they want to.

Jojeephus, take his offer and let him know the next one is on you...

Alice

For me it would depend on how long he watched the place ( over the weekend or for a week? ) and was it just stopping by the place and checking on things or did he have to spend quite a bit of time there every day? It's a sliding rule around our area, if it's short duration ( a weekend ) I'll watch their place for them to pay them back. If it's for a longer period of time or they had to get cows up and / or fix some fence while I was gone I might treat them & their family to a meal or as someone else posted buy something for them that they can use. Most of the time it's a BIG thanks and hollor when you need a hand neighbor.

;-)

If I say I'll help and not charge you anything for my help, I mean it. I consider it an insult when someone gets their wallet out to give me money for help that I said was free. That said, if they throw the money on the ground, I won't let the wind blow it away. ;-)

Had a few times when something like this happened and the person refused to take pay. We got some Coupons to Red Lobster. Other time on a small situation I caught them at Pizza Hut and paid for his ticket when I left with out him knowing.

If they do not want pay just make sure they fill appreciated for the favor and then pay it forward.

Bullbuyer":mc8k1r9f said:
I've turned down a lot of money but a fresh baked pie/cobbler is always appreciated. Even a jar of jelly, honey or preserves works for me.

Not that is the kind of pay I like. Home made jelly. Pecan pie.

I'm with Ryder and the rest of replies that say, no monetary reward. Don't get mad, just get even. It is all part of being a neighbor.

Think about it. How many times have you stopped and fixed a fence that wasn't yours. Why did you notice? Not because you were nosy, but just because you are a concerned neighbor. That old guy has probably been looking after you cows all along. Now he just has to get them some hay.

Latest posts