FAIR PRICE

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
What do you think is a fair price on purchasing plastic barrels and metal barrels from a company that produces foods? I would need to drive 45 miles to pick up a couple times a week and haul home and clean up. its some screw type lids and 2 bung hole plastic barrels metal with removable lids and bung holes. I would prefer $2.00per barrel I mean hey they were just cutting them up and putting them in the dumpster so that would be less expense on them anyway. What do yall think? The plant manager asked what I wanted to pay I said not sure you tell me and we can go from there. He said before its a deal he has to check with his company to find out the liability for me to have barrels that contained vegetable oil... ????

They pump out around 2500 barrels a year or more a guy said I don't need that many but would buy them all if they gave me a good deal on them.

Around here the plastics are 5-10 the metal drums are 10-15. That's from resellers, not the guys that actually use them for the product.

If you have any dairies anywhere in the area they usually have a big pile of the plastic ones. Might just give them to you.

Surely they're not putting 2500 barrels per year in the dumpster? Much or most of the HDPE in the US is recycled, and there is a scrap value. It fluctuates with oil prices, so I'm not sure where it is right now. I only say this because if they're selling them to a recycler, you'd have to pay more than they're getting for scrap. But I doubt it's more than $1 each.

TB no one gives anything away up here but a hard time... No I don't want to deal with that if I got for free id give them away but if I got to pay I would just go to the flea market and sell them. I would use them for troughs and mineral feeders mostly. Maybe water collection as well trash barrels so many uses.

skyhightree1":2dk7s5lb said:
TB no one gives anything away up here but a hard time... No I don't want to deal with that if I got for free id give them away but if I got to pay I would just go to the flea market and sell them. I would use them for troughs and mineral feeders mostly. Maybe water collection as well trash barrels so many uses.
Only reason I mentioned dairies is that they buy soap, chlorine and acid in the 55 gallon plastic drums and some will have the smaller ones. On larger dairies they accumulate pretty fast and you can only come up with so many uses for them. Might get a bargain anyway if you took all they had.

Good plastic barrels with bungs are $20-$25 here. Metal drums are between $10-$15. I have switched to the plastic barrel mineral feeders and will never go back to anything else. I have heard tell that the the blue plastic barrels hold up better than black or white barrels.

Blue barrels are made from virgin material. Black is almost always recycled, as are natural (white colored). Recycled HDPE will deteroirate at a faster rate than virgin.

bball":1b1xm7xt said:
Good plastic barrels with bungs are $20-$25 here. Metal drums are between $10-$15. I have switched to the plastic barrel mineral feeders and will never go back to anything else. I have heard tell that the the blue plastic barrels hold up better than black or white barrels.
+1

Latest posts