Fair pay

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
I'm gonna have my neighbor who has alot more horsepower than me chisel +-50 acres for me this winter. He's already agreed with a we'll work it answer on price. Land is flat and clean and has had haygrazer on it for several years. Mostly just disc and drilled . I am sure it needs a good deep chisel..... fair price...?

I'll try to make a long story short, Several years ago I was asked to price 2 or 3 days plow work with my 95 hp 4wd tractor, I had no idea, at that time my tractor cost X dollars. So I looked around to see what small bulldozers that cost about the same money as my tractor, they were getting $75 to $100 per hour. So I priced my tractor at $50.00 per hour. He thought I pulled a gun on him said that was ridiculous. and his attitude kinda peed me off. So I'm "not for hire", Makes better neighbors.

About $15-20/acre just depends how big of chisel plow.
Doing the per hour route can be wishy washy, as some ground is easier to chisel plow, and won't take as long to do, while some will take all day.

ClodHopper37869 said:
I'll try to make a long story short, Several years ago I was asked to price 2 or 3 days plow work with my 95 hp 4wd tractor, I had no idea, at that time my tractor cost X dollars. So I looked around to see what small bulldozers that cost about the same money as my tractor, they were getting $75 to $100 per hour. So I priced my tractor at $50.00 per hour. He thought I pulled a gun on him said that was ridiculous. and his attitude kinda peed me off. So I'm "not for hire", Makes better neighbors.

Thanks for the advice. But I think me and him will get along just fine. Work it out means just that btw. I know what.my work and equipment is worth when it's my turn. I know what I'd charge. Just thought I'd get some other opinions. As far as me and the neighbor, I'm confident we'll work it out... ;-)

sim.-ang.king said:
About $15-20/acre just depends how big of chisel plow.
Doing the per hour route can be wishy washy, as some ground is easier to chisel plow, and won't take as long to do, while some will take all day.

I do tractor work for home owners by the hour but for an AG job I charge by the acre and chisel plow I would charge $25.00 per acre if I didn't really have any ties to the person but if we have a good working relationship what Sim said is good for me.

2019 Iowa Farm Custom Rates Survey
Chisel plowing $18 acre with price ranging from $14- $24 acre

Disk Chiseling $19 acre
Moldboard Plowing $20 acre; range 15 - $25
V-ripping over 15" deep $24 acre ranging from 18 - $30
Disking heavy or offset $20 acre
Dragging or Harrowing $12 acre
Field cultivating $16 acre
Chopping corn stalks $12 acre
Land rolling $8 acre

callmefence said:
Brute 23 said:
$50/ac would be the low side... $75/ac +-$10 is pretty close to what any one charges around here for disking, plowing, shredding, etc.

I'm not trying to be like clodhoppers neighbor..lol

Did you mean by the hour.??

50/ac, 75/hr

Some of that would depend on size of field also. 10ac... 50 for sure. 100ac ... and it could be dropped down quite a bit

I haven't paid anyone to chisel plow;however, this late spring we did pay to have 60 acres disced, smoothed with drag, seed broadcast ( that we provided ) and rolled. The total cost was $4,000.

We charged 20$ an acre last fall. 35' chisel and 600 hp tractor Pulling it 8-10" deep. Some of the rates I see above are nuts.

Most of the tillage we do now is custom. I prefer to build my soils, not destroy them.

T & B farms said:
We charged 20$ an acre last fall. 35' chisel and 600 hp tractor Pulling it 8-10" deep. Some of the rates I see above are nuts.

Most of the tillage we do now is custom. I prefer to build my soils, not destroy them.

Care to expand on that last statement? You got me interested.