Fabricated Filet Mignon

Help Support CattleToday:

Jo- I don"t suppose you happened to check if it was USDA graded or whether it was packed at a USDA inspected facility did you? If it was truly USDA graded then it would be assumed it was a true Filet mignon and that is a real cause for concern to beef producers. However if it just said it was packed at a USDA inspected facility then it is not good for beef producers per se but is a sort of underhanded marketing ploy right on the raw edge of honesty. Too bad truth in advertising doesn't apply to everyone. JLP

I don;t think there is a legal definition of fillet mignon, tendrloin, etc. They culd come up with some catchy name like "flatiron steak" and market it as something special. Oh, I forgot, someone already took a lesser cut of meat and called it flatiron steak.

dun":2l7f4yd2 said:
I don;t think there is a legal definition of fillet mignon, tendrloin, etc. They culd come up with some catchy name like "flatiron steak" and market it as something special. Oh, I forgot, someone already took a lesser cut of meat and called it flatiron steak.

I honestly didn't know this. I assumed that with all the debate over what is grassfed or organic we surely had some standards on what a cut of meat was. Of course I heard a commercial on the radio today boasting about how a certain restaurant only served USDA inspected meat. I got a chuckle on that one.

I think I might sharpen the edges of some three inch pipe and punch filets out of sirloin.

That stuff sounds pretty bad Jo.
Just went half and half with our friend on that 4-H beef he bought. Husband had just suggested that we start buying beef out of the store until our steers are finished and butchered in October. No thanks. The last store stuff we bought was just nasty.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
M15003Kansas City Steak Company (12)4oz Bacon WrappedFilet Mignons
Customer Top Rated
QVC Price: $66.00
Introductory Price: $59.96

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
M15179Kansas City Steak Company (6) 8oz Beef Wellington
Introductory Price: $59.76

M101991Kansas City Steak(12)6oz USDA Prime FiletMignon
QVC Price: $189.54

M17422A-D Kansas City (12) 4oz Bacon Wrapped Filets Auto-Delivery
Auto-Delivery
Introductory Price: $59.94

M101993Kansas City Steak (8)8oz USDAPrime Super Trimmed Filet Mignon
QVC Price: $169.23

M100162Kansas City Steak Co. (6) 6oz Bacon Wrapped Filets Mignons
QVC Price: $78.42

M34762Kansas City Steak Co. (8) 8-oz Bacon-Wrapped Filets Mignons
QVC Price: $128.85

M34763Kansas City Steak Co. (6) 10oz Bacon Wrapped Filets Mignons
QVC Price: $119.58

M34767Kansas City Steak Co. (6) 10oz Filets Mignons
QVC Price: $119.58
About Kansas City Steak Company

Since 1932, the Scavuzzo family has been providing some of the finest steaks in restaurants across the country. That same superior quality can be delivered right to your door! Kansas City Steak Company uses only top-quality Midwestern corn-fed beef, and each steak is hand-trimmed and carefully aged for up to 28 days. All of these tasty meats are then quick-frozen to seal in the flavor and ensure you a tender, juicy steak every time.

Saw Wynnona singing I Want to Know What Love Is on GAC last night. Look it up on youtube or something if you missed it. You won't be disappointed.

As a professional chef, I can tell you there is a lot of freedom in what you can call a filet mignon. It makes me sick! Our company spends large amounts of money on Sterling Silver beef to ensure an eating experience of top quality. We then get complaints that the price is too high, presumably because people are buying stuff like this and comparing the two. The trimmed and portioned cost of our tenderloins by the time we are done butchering is $20/#. That is the same price they are charging on QVC for the crap!

What is probably happening is they are buying select, or even worse, industrial grade beef and then injecting with rendered beef fat. It probably really is a tenderloin. But it is probably a tenderloin that was meant to be ground up and used at McDonalds.

Pwilli, what do you know about Sterling Silver Beef? There is a butcher shop in Georgia that carries it. I asked the guy at the counter about it but he didn't seem to know too much. Said it was raised a little differently. He said it was good.

As for the other stuff, I'm almost positive it was injected somehow. Do you know whether or not it is possible for meat tenderizers to actually break down the structure of the meat where there is no more length in the fibers? If this is possible then maybe this is what happened to the texture of the meat. It cuts and chews more like a luncheon meat. If you were toothless it would definitely be a treat.

Jogeephus":3d4pkw6h said:
Pwilli, what do you know about Sterling Silver Beef? There is a butcher shop in Georgia that carries it. I asked the guy at the counter about it but he didn't seem to know too much. Said it was raised a little differently. He said it was good.

As for the other stuff, I'm almost positive it was injected somehow. Do you know whether or not it is possible for meat tenderizers to actually break down the structure of the meat where there is no more length in the fibers? If this is possible then maybe this is what happened to the texture of the meat. It cuts and chews more like a luncheon meat. If you were toothless it would definitely be a treat.

The more I think about it, the more this makes me angry. As producers we pay millions into the checkoff to promote beef. But, over there on QVC is the Kansas City Steak company (earlier I said Omaha Beef, and I apologize to them) selling bologna as prime filet. Nothing wrong with bologna, but it doesn't generally sell for that price. Lots of beef eaters are going to be as disappointed as you are, Mr Geephus, and that isn't good.

John I really need to clear something up here before someone gets a bad name underservingly. I'm not sure if KCS is the one that made the stuff or not. Sure looked like it on their page and I didn't know they sold on QVC but that really doesn't mean they are the ones who made it. Coincidence? Maybe. But really that's beside the point. The problem, like you pointed out, is that there is no standard set for a cut of meat. This bothers me cause we take pride in our product and it just doesn't seem right that we can produce such good meat only to have it monkeyed with by somebody with a greedy streak and the technology to do so.

We are just trying to think of the good of the business. It is not good if a seller can promote bologna as steak. That is a lie, and it will cause the consumer to switch to fish or chicken or veggies.
Consumers are NOT stupid. They will buy once, but they won't buy twice. The steaks you referred to should be labeled "processed" or "ground" or something which makes clear what is being offered.

I agree with you completely. This is the type thing that will evolve into something really bad for the producers if something is not done. I'm think I'm going to start asking some questions and learn as much as I can about this.

Yeah I was out, now I'm in. Who cares. Genuine filet mignons(no marbeling, no flavor) are way over rated and overpriced and not very good anyway unless you make some butter/horseraddish/chive/cream sauce with bacon and smother them in it and serve with a lot of mashed potatoes and spinach salad with a side of toast made from some well made bread. People are paying good money for these imitations at walmart($3.97 for a twin pack) and loving them. Rejoice in it.

Check out Wynnona.

ga. prime":1v9gfff4 said:
Yeah I was out, now I'm in. Who cares. Genuine filet mignons(no marbeling) are way over rated and overpriced and not very good anyway unless you make some butter/horseraddish/chive/cream sauce with bacon and smother them in it and serve with a lot of mashed potatoes. People are paying good money for these imitations at walmart($3.97 for a twin pack) and loving them. Rejoice in it.

Check out Wynnona.

Obviously you have never eaten a genuine filet mignon(no marbling at all) off of a 2 year old Bull Elk. cut 1 1/4 in thick and wrapped with smoked bacon then sprinkled with sea salt and fresh ground blk pepper then grilled over a mesquite charcol fire. The ain't nothin like it anywhere.

Ok, I checked out Wynona and you were right - was good. I also agree with you about fillets being overated cause I'm a ribeye person myself. But I can't see how you can say its good for the cattle industry for the meat industry to market pseudo fillets under the guise of being geniune fillets. I can't see it.

Latest posts