Extra teats

Help Support CattleToday:

susie

Reaction score
Been at the Puyallup Fair ( Washington) the last few days while my daighter showed her chickens. Yesterday we watched the Hereford show, very interesting.

Alot of the heifers had 6 teats- is that reall common, or just common in show cattle? My heifer has 4 :0) but she didn't look too much like the show cattle there. Lot of pretty cows, liked the commentary about the placings. I could really tell a difference at the walk, but couldn't say WHY one walked smoother or more fluid than another.
Also is it pronounced tEEts or Tits? Don't want to sound like an idiot-- although I bet it'll still happen :)

Thanks-
Susie

Susie, I have a particular line of cattle that seem to have extra teats. But to tell you the truth...since I quit dairying, I don't really look for extras anymore.

And I think that the proper pronounciation is "teets". But that all depents on how much rednock you have running through ya. :roll:

when i was milking an raising heifers.i have them checked for extra teats.an have them removed.i even did that when i had herefords.extra titts are no problem.less its filled up sm dripping milk.even then its not bad.scott

I also was at a fair recently in Washington where Junior Angus were being shown and the difference between first and second was an extra teet. The judge said that she (the junior handler) should have had it cut off right after the calf was born. I asked others and they confirmed the judges commet. JMD :cboy:

I also was at a fair recently in Washington where Junior Angus were being shown and the difference between first and second was an extra teet. The judge said that she (the junior handler) should have had it cut off right after the calf was born. I asked others and they confirmed the judges commet. JMD :cboy:

susie":2wqtijk9 said:
Also is it pronounced tEEts or Tits? Don't want to sound like an idiot-- although I bet it'll still happen :)

Thanks-
Susie

Up here it's always been 'tits' as far as I know.

Latest posts