explain please

Help Support CattleToday:

Joy in Texas

Reaction score
please explain to me the major docking of ears and navels. If overall body is great condition,what the deal over skin. I don't get it.

So you are saying that all brahma influenced cattle are automatically dock. I don't understand....why

Me thinks the "bottomline" for docking for color, ear, horn, etc., at the sale barns is BECAUSE THEY CAN! (And Will).

Given all else being equal??...when the lights are out, can you tell what color the skin/hide is?

Don't want to start an argument by any means; however, this "docking" issue has gone on for many years and will probably continue...because then CAN dock... :roll:

Running Arrow Bill":4qa24cn7 said:
Don't want to start an argument by any means; however, this "docking" issue has gone on for many years and will probably continue...because then CAN dock... :roll:

No one can argue with fact Bill. I like the docking when buying. I hate it when selling. But it is just a factor. I am seeking ear at the sale barn. Calm cows with long ears are what I want. If they are cheaper, all the better.

I think You just might be right about that Bill. I was just watching at the sale the other day. Oh my if they were not hereford or angus crossed they were docked. I don't care how thin they were or whatever. it's amazing to me. I don't have anything against any breed of cattle. Had some of all them thru the years. Over all I think the brahma and brahma crosses performed much better. Crosses were with mostly herefords. How long is an average cows ear suppose to be ?

the buyer's pretty much don't want anything over 1/4 bra influence. especially in the upper south. use a bull that tighens up the leather and shorten the ears on em not too mention build a butt on them. im a brahman loving fool but you got too know the limitations were too stop the bra and add the bos tarus

Joy in Texas":20mgwwwm said:
So you are saying that all brahma influenced cattle are automatically dock. I don't understand....why

Not necessarily, depends on where you are. Bill summed it up better than I did. Personally I don't have anything against Brahmas.

Joy in Texas":19ecwtoa said:
please explain to me the major docking of ears and navels. If overall body is great condition,what the deal over skin. I don't get it.

The large feedlots in the north part of the country don't want Brahman cattle during cold weather. Many of them don't make a heavy coat and don't perform well in the feedlot; some even die from the cold. The traits that make them work well in the south work against them in the northern feedlots.

MARC data says the more Brahman influence in a carcass, the more likely it will be tough.

The largest buyer in my part of the country says his customers want no more than 1/4 Brahman influence in the calves he buys for them.

The Beefmaster/Charolais & Beefmaster/Angus cross calves that I've seen sell do every well at the sale barns. However, anymore Brahman influnce than that and they fall off big time on price :nod: .

Frankie is on the money. They just don't perform very well in feedlots - I know a lot of people will want to throw test station data at me but that has long been the criticism of big eared cattle. I understand (from some Gert breeders) that the performance is tied to the fact that they are very slow to mature regardless of their surroundings.
Personally, I think they are pretty good on the grill but I don't have a single one at the moment.

Running Arrow Bill":isam6uh0 said:
Me thinks the "bottomline" for docking for color, ear, horn, etc., at the sale barns is BECAUSE THEY CAN! (And Will).

Given all else being equal??...when the lights are out, can you tell what color the skin/hide is?
You may not be able to tell what color the hide is but you can sure tell the difference in the quality of British cattle as opposed to Brahman influence cattle.