Experience with twins?

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
I have a question concerning twins. I had a big older cow today have a calf right before dark. She was bred to the same Hereford bull as last year. Last year her calf was probably 90+ (heifer) pounds. The one today is more like 70#. What do you look for to tell you she might have twins? How long is possible between to the two calves? I've not had a lot of twins and it never goes well. The one calf thats on the ground now is doing fine just surprised at its size. I looks to be full term?? Any info. will be appreciated. Thanks. B&G

As dun said, when in doubt, you better check.. Even though I think the second calf was dead before the first was even born, I had one cow that wasn't looking right the day after she calved a 110 lb bull.. well, guess what, there was another 110 lb bull in her, arse backward (Yes, she's a big cow), and dead.

I don't think 90-70 lbs is definite reason to believe there's twins, but it's always better safe than sorry.

dun":1m7u6xf6 said:
If in doubt I sleeve up and go in and feel around
Rectally or vaginal?
I am thinking the safer way, as to not subject them to more chance of infection, that you could feel for a calf Rectally at this point right?

You should be able to do it rectally.

I would consider a retained placenta as a clue there could be something holding it up.. like another one.. if she's discharged the placenta, I doubt there'd be another calf

branguscowgirl":tdyguqp1 said:
dun":tdyguqp1 said:
Rectally or vaginal?
I am thinking the safer way, as to not subject them to more chance of infection, that you could feel for a calf Rectally at this point right?
I would go vaginally especially if your not sure what you are feeling your hand will be directly on any second calf and you can start sorting it out straight away. They are pretty tough as far as infection goes at this point in time but it doesn't mean you don't use at least basic hygiene precautions. I don't like a lot of strong disinfectants sloshing around but just make sure things are physically clean and a little bit of lube won't go astray.
Ken

Black and Good":dbngfnax said:
I have a question concerning twins. I had a big older cow today have a calf right before dark. She was bred to the same Hereford bull as last year. Last year her calf was probably 90+ (heifer) pounds. The one today is more like 70#. What do you look for to tell you she might have twins? How long is possible between to the two calves? I've not had a lot of twins and it never goes well. The one calf thats on the ground now is doing fine just surprised at its size. I looks to be full term?? Any info. will be appreciated. Thanks. B&G
We have had one have twins 3 days apart.

tom4018":2oadatar said:
Black and Good":2oadatar said:

WOW! We're both born alive? Did they survive? B&G

Black and Good":3sfpqp6z said:
tom4018":3sfpqp6z said:
Black and Good":3sfpqp6z said:

WOW! We're both born alive? Did they survive? B&G
Yes both born alive and well. She would bot claim one of them so we bottle raised it. Vet told me that she ovulated twice and bull bred her twice and there was a pregnancy in each uterine horn, that was something similar to how it was explained. We have had this happen twice and each cow was out of the same cow, so not sure if it is genetic or not.

wbvs58":3bcb6fz4 said:
branguscowgirl":3bcb6fz4 said:
dun":3bcb6fz4 said:
Rectally or vaginal?
I would go vaginally especially if your not sure what you are feeling your hand will be directly on any second calf and you can start sorting it out straight away. They are pretty tough as far as infection goes at this point in time but it doesn't mean you don't use at least basic hygiene precautions. I don't like a lot of strong disinfectants sloshing around but just make sure things are physically clean and a little bit of lube won't go astray.
Ken
Thanks Ken.

We have an older cow that we have used for raising several embryo calves, and decided to AI her last year hoping for a heifer to replace her. Her calves average over 80 pounds, so when she calved at 285 days gestation, and we found a 59 pound heifer, I gloved right up and went in just sure there was a twin in there. The AI sire is known to throw big calves, so I was expecting a 90 pound calf. No second calf. Sure surprised the heck out of me. :)

Fire Sweep Ranch":11k4adsw said:
We have an older cow that we have used for raising several embryo calves, and decided to AI her last year hoping for a heifer to replace her. Her calves average over 80 pounds, so when she calved at 285 days gestation, and we found a 59 pound heifer, I gloved right up and went in just sure there was a twin in there. The AI sire is known to throw big calves, so I was expecting a 90 pound calf. No second calf. Sure surprised the heck out of me. :)

Sweep, that kinda where I'm at. But as of 24 hours no calf and she's cleaned out. Then had others calving so, I just moved on. Thanks everyone for the help. B&G

Latest posts