Expensive ammunition

Help Support CattleToday:

Fly-guy

Reaction score
I was in Wal-mart the other day and saw a box of 7mm Remington magnums for over $40. I don't recall what caliber some of the other ammunition was but it looked pretty expensive also. What is going on?

I noticed that the other day too. Looks like $35/box is average here. I guess they figure it takes 5 gallons of fuel to get a box of shells to the store.

I usally do my ammo shopping on the internet and when I find the best ammo at the best price I will order a case.
If my house ever caught fire I'm gonna run like he**.

Cal

I reload all my ammo, brass, primers and bullets have been going up for a while now. Also the war affects the price of ammo, I heard that all federal primers are going to the Gov.

Liability insurance is another factor. Anyone notice that many pawn shops no longer pawn or sell guns? One owner told me it was directly related to the cost of insurance. He either had to jack up prices of ammo and guns, or get out. Jan 1 of '08 is it for him.

Blame your friendly Chinese.

As with a lot of other things they are buying up a lot of lead and copper.

There is also a fair amout of material going to the war. Especially 223.

Gouging?

While shooting Friday, one kid brought out his new .300 Weatherby to sight in. I was shocked to see a $61 price tag on a box of those cartridges.

He shot two whole boxes while trying to get "lined up" and would have shot another if he had them. :lol:

Somebody made a hefty profit on that ammo.

MikeC":2qjy54hy said:
While shooting Friday, one kid brought out his new .300 Weatherby to sight in. I was shocked to see a $61 price tag on a box of those cartridges.

He shot two whole boxes while trying to get "lined up" and would have shot another if he had them. :lol:

If everything was put together right on that rifle he should have been sighted in in no more than 3 shots. How many experienced shooters sat around and watched him waste that much ammo and throat on the rifle. At the very least somone could have let him know he was wasting his time after 10 to 15 shots because of the fouling in that barrel?

curtis":1357yxz1 said:
I reload all my ammo, brass, primers and bullets have been going up for a while now. Also the war affects the price of ammo, I heard that all federal primers are going to the Gov.
yes, reload. we get ours reloaded for half price of new.

3waycross":3pl4s608 said:
MikeC":3pl4s608 said:

If everything was put together right on that rifle he should have been sighted in in no more than 3 shots. How many experienced shooters sat around and watched him waste that much ammo and throat on the rifle. At the very least somone could have let him know he was wasting his time after 10 to 15 shots because of the fouling in that barrel?

Actually, you can sight a rifle in in one shot...and take another shot for good measure to confirm.

I didn't say a word to this boy, I say a boy........he's about 25-26 years old, and he just wanted to shoot.

I did try to explain that I clean a gun after every shot for the first 10 and after every other shot for the next 20, and why. But he didn't listen.......... :lol:

MikeC":3tub5tx9 said:
3waycross":3tub5tx9 said:
MikeC":3tub5tx9 said:

Actually, you can sight a rifle in in one shot...and take another shot for good measure to confirm.

I didn't say a word to this boy, I say a boy........he's about 25-26 years old, and he just wanted to shoot.

I did try to explain that I clean a gun after every shot for the first 10 and after every other shot for the next 20, and why. But he didn't listen.......... :lol:

Sounds like you did the right thing. If he didn't want to listen then it's his problem. I usually figure 3 shots just to make sure the scope responded correctly.

We shoot a lot of reactive targets, popcans(full), hanging gongs,and steel pipes, and spring loaded silhouettes. If we have to change a scope at the range we, bore sight it at the 300yd gong since it's blaze orange and even us old farts can see it. Then one guy shoots at a rock on the 300 yd berm, while the spotter calls the shot. Usually the second shot hits the rock or is very close. Then a last adjustment if your off a little and back to shooting targets out to and including 600yds.

Too bad you're not closer. I've read some of your posts and it sounds like you would fit in pretty good with our bunch, At least you know how to break in a new barrel. Most don't or are too lazy to do it right.

3waycross":1ew950dd said:
MikeC":1ew950dd said:
3waycross":1ew950dd said:
MikeC":1ew950dd said:

Sounds like you did the right thing. If he didn't want to listen then it's his problem. I usually figure 3 shots just to make sure the scope responded correctly.

We shoot a lot of reactive targets, popcans(full), hanging gongs,and steel pipes, and spring loaded silhouettes. If we have to change a scope at the range we, bore sight it at the 300yd gong since it's blaze orange and even us old farts can see it. Then one guy shoots at a rock on the 300 yd berm, while the spotter calls the shot. Usually the second shot hits the rock or is very close. Then a last adjustment if your off a little and back to shooting targets out to and including 600yds.

Too bad you're not closer. I've read some of your posts and it sounds like you would fit in pretty good with our bunch, At least you know how to break in a new barrel. Most don't or are too lazy to do it right.

3way, don't suppose you know a gunsmith out around Westcliffe do you?

3waycross":1vrai8sg said:
MikeC":1vrai8sg said:
3waycross":1vrai8sg said:
MikeC":1vrai8sg said:

I love rifle shooting period.

Some old benchrest buddies taught me a long time ago how to dial in a scope:

1-Place the rifle on a secure rest and shoot, being sure to remember exactly where the crosshairs are when you shoot.

2-Place the gun back in the rest with the crosshairs exactly where they were when you shot. Now, without touching the gun (or moving it), only the scope adjustments, dial the scope crosshairs to the hole in the paper where the bullet went on that shot.

3-You are dead on.

MikeC":1evxtmx5 said:
3waycross":1evxtmx5 said:
3waycross":1evxtmx5 said:

I love rifle shooting period.

Some old benchrest buddies taught me a long time ago how to dial in a scope:

1-Place the rifle on a secure rest and shoot, being sure to remember exactly where the crosshairs are when you shoot.

2-Place the gun back in the rest with the crosshairs exactly where they were when you shot. Now, without touching the gun (or moving it), only the scope adjustments, dial the scope crosshairs to the hole in the paper where the bullet went on that shot.

3-You are dead on.

Mike C My buddy's poked fun at me the first time i did this two shot's later no more smart remark's. ;-)

rattler

Fly-guy":10do552j said:
3waycross":10do552j said:
MikeC":10do552j said:
3waycross":10do552j said:
MikeC":10do552j said:

3way, don't suppose you know a gunsmith out around Westcliffe do you?
I only live about 50 miles from Westcliff. What's his name.

MikeC":17e77080 said:
Mike C My buddy's poked fun at me the first time i did this two shot's later no more smart remark's.

rattler

Works erry time!

I know it works fine, I've done it many times. It's just more fun to shoot at a fist sized rock at 300 yds and then hit it on the next shot.

Had a kid bout 30 at the range last month wearing a sniper t- shirt. When I asked him where he went to Sniper school he says which time.

We went back to the bench and he seemed to be strugling to zero his 308 savage tactical, after around 20 rounds.

I invited him to the long range bench and did what I described earlier. His first shot was 45in left and 6in high. I told him to spin it 15 MOA right and 2 MOA down and he hit the rock on his next shot.

He was a lot more humble after that.

Fly-guy":3mw2id8u said:
I was in Wal-mart the other day and saw a box of 7mm Remington magnums for over $40. I don't recall what caliber some of the other ammunition was but it looked pretty expensive also. What is going on?

That seems fairly typical around here, and has been for quiet some time. Save yourself some money like the others said and reload if you don't already.

Latest posts