Everyone's confused

Help Support CattleToday:

Green Creek

Reaction score
We had the darndest thing happen yesterday. One cow was having her calf and another one was in labor. The one in labor jumped up when her water broke and immediately claimed the one that was just born. It has gone on for two days now and we are getting nowhere. The one they both reject is the much better calf, of course. We have separated them into different corrals but the pushy one calls the calf through the fence. Finally, we brought the other cow and the calf that belongs to the pushy cow home to see if we can make them bond because the other one is definitely not going to leave his adopted mother. On top of that, they seem to have injured the reject because he is not feeling well at all.

i had that problem last year. the heifer actually kept attacking her calf when it would flop around, thinking it was something trying to get her calf that wasnt even hers. solution: i ran the two cows and the one calf they wanted into the pen. then i went and got the reject. then i ran the pair out of the pen and shooed them away from the area entirely. and i took the reject to his mom in the pen, who was intolerant at first until she realized there were no other calves around. and she took her own calf and was very protective of it afterwards.

We had a cow like that - E19 was her number - ugly cow, but a hellava mother, good milker, easy calver, easy to handle, and raised a good calf - her only quirk was that she would steal the calf of the cow/heifer that delivered right before she went into labor, and leave her's to die. We watched, and penned her when she looked close to calving. A little extra effort, but not that big of a deal since we fed every morning and checked all of the girls. It solved the problem.

Latest posts