Ever have a lot of one sex of calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

crimsoncrazy

Reaction score
We have one pasture of cows that this year had 19 heifers and 5 steers. Last year it was pretty much evenly split with the same cows and same bull. Really wish it was the other way around since we don't retain many heifers.

Last year was 100% heifers for us. This year one place is done calving and it is 100% heifers too. Another is half done yet and it's 80% bulls

We found that if we get a run of heifers it usually follows with a couple of years of good weather we have also found that if we have a run of bull calves / dead calves we're in for a dry spell.

Every time I have a bull I want daughters off I get bull calves. My Shorthorn bull this year, 27 steer calves and 13 heifers.... We are actually high on steers this year and were last year too.

In total this year we have 91 steer calves and 67 heifers...

Yep.. last year, I had a run of over a dozen heifers in a row, before a bull calf showed up. This year, its been the opposite so far

What kind of bull are you guys using that throws steer calves? Mine always throws bulls and heifers and I have to castrate them to get steers.

Latest posts