Euthanization?

Help Support CattleToday:

msscamp":39n4qj9i said:
Keren":39n4qj9i said:
Cutting a calf's throat is not acceptable under our welfare code because bovines have two supplies of blood to the brain, one in the throat where you would make the cut, the other running up the spine. So when you cut their throats they linger for a long time.

I would be most interested in when this other blood supply was discovered? It sure wasn't covered in my anatomy and physiology classes. Granted, it's been about 30 years since I was in vet tech, but I do not believe the bovine species is capable of evolving to the point of including new blood routes in a mere 30 years. Of course, I could be wrong on that.

As I said to milkmaid, thats just what I was told and I never thought to question it. It could be entirely wrong.

luckily i have not had to deal with this yet, but i always have my gun in the truck just in case. If it came to a old cow i had sence a baby though, i would have the vet out. Same for any of my horses. I dont think i could shoot one of them.

Workinonit Farm":37gks8y5 said:
mobgrazer":37gks8y5 said:
But were not allowed to kill cattle any more by law a vet must come out and do it.

Is this a local law, or county law? I too am in Va. and I am not aware of this particular law.

Katherine

Do you guys have home butchering (slaughter) services? If so does a Vet have make the kill before they quarter the steer or cow? What's the procedure on killing for you own raised beef?

I've seen and had a few cattle killed for the freezer.... 22 mag between the eyes, they drop like a rock, quick easy and no stress.

Alan

Alan":26cw1tou said:
Do you guys have home butchering (slaughter) services? If so does a Vet have make the kill before they quarter the steer or cow? What's the procedure on killing for you own raised beef?

I've seen and had a few cattle killed for the freezer.... 22 mag between the eyes, they drop like a rock, quick easy and no stress.

Alan

If there are any 'home butchering' services available in my state, I am unaware of them. There is a processor I take them to. There are several of those in this state. I have butchered pigs here at home and at friends places, I have always used a 22long and that works fine. Same with any cows or calves I have had to 'euthanize'. One shot does the job.

I can't imagine that a vet would have to be called in to euthanize a cow for butchering....but then again....I could be wrong.

Katherine

I butcher my own cows for my family. 357 to the brain and slice there neck ASAP if I'm going to butcher them. I would not want to eat the stuff the vet uses for euthanization; I don't know if I'm breaking the law but don't think I will ever get caught.

I don't know of a home butcher service in this part of VA. I can't even think of a place to take a cow to get butchered with in 100 miles of my house but have never looked very hard.

Latest posts