ethynol

Help Support CattleToday:

jj216

Reaction score
I heard this fella on the radio this morning promoting ethynol.He claimed that the by product (after they get the ethynol out) is being made into feed that actually is higher in protein and no different for feeding than it was when it was corn.That the process has zero effect on corn as far as a feed.He said at some co- ops it is selling for 90 dollars a ton.I think he called it distillers grain.Any of ya'll heard of this or actually bought any.

Search for "DDG", "CG" "gluten", "distillers" and you'll find a number of discussions

I'm not up on politics or economics.Why then is corn and feed going up so much if all the by products can be used as feed.By the way Sir loin, is it pretty easy to find in Tn.? and is the price he quoted accurate?

jj216":kvyhc6ll said:
I'm not up on politics or economics.Why then is corn and feed going up so much if all the by products can be used as feed.By the way Sir loin, is it pretty easy to find in Tn.? and is the price he quoted accurate?
You will get 17# ddgs out of 56 pounds corn. It cannot be used 1 to 1 in place of corn. Inclusion rates of 30% max seem to work the best for us.

JJ,

Re:
Why then is corn and feed going up so much if all the by products can be used as feed.
It's simple supply and demand economics.
When corn is taken out of the cattle feed loop for ethanol the supply goes down and therefore the price of corn goes up.
When the corn gluten goes back into the cattle feed loop it is no longer corn. It is all corn but it is in a different form (wet) and requires another process to dry it.
In short gluten is/has another entire process to go through to be sold as dry cattle feed. And now has another company making a profit off of it.
Now here is a little unknown fact. When a company, like those producing ethanol who are not in the cattle feed business, they will contract for the removal of their by-products, such as corn gluten.
It is this contactor who trucks it out of the plant that you want to deal with to buy in bulk (trailer loads) to get the best price.
Re: I would tell you what we paid for our last 10 loads (we do out own trucking) but that would just bring the pups off the porch again.
So why don't you call the person I just PMed you
tomorrow and ask them what a ton (or by the100 lbs) of dry and wet gluten sells for. You can pick it up right there or he will deliver by the trailer load.
And be sure to post his prices here but not his name please.
And while you have him on the line have him fax you a copy of his entire product price list.
SL

Thanks for the last two replys.Especially SL for the detailed info.I'll check it out.I'm not in the need of having to feed grain,etc. right now but I'm getting into some other aspects of raising a certain kinda cattle where I may(wont go into details because of the no it alls).Thanks again I might have more?I'll pm ya.

jj216
It is important to understand gluten and distillers grains are 2 totally different products and they need to be fed differently. In your first post you asked about distillers grains and sirloin is talking about gluten. They will also be priced different.

Latest posts