ethanol leftovers

Help Support CattleToday:

boone

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience feeding the leftovers from an ethanol plant ? I forget what they call it. Plants popping up everywhere kinda made me curious. Boone

I think your referring to distillers grain. Corn gluten is also a byproduct from the ethonal plants. We use 50% CG as the protein portion of our grain supplemnt, when we feed supplements anyway.

dun

Big plant poppin up here as well. Been reading as much as I can about DDG, first thing I learned is that some plants use different processes so the nutrient/moisture content is different.

I have also heard local feed mills thinking they are going to be buying a major portion of it up to sell back to us, possibly pelletized ??

when we fed brewers grain it was mosist an hot.so i dont know how it would pellet feed.i dont think the pellets would hold togather.when we fed it we would pile it on the ground.am the pile would steam with heat even in cold temps.an be nice an hot deep in the pile.

around here alot of cattlemen feed 1/2 corn stalk bales, 1/2 poor hay, and #4 per head of distillers for a cattle maintainance ration, with a high cal mineral. I have heard that when used in a finishing diet it reduces the marbeling? Good feed for a good price. Keeps for at least a month in the cold. Summer you'll want to tarp it or the sun and heat causes it to mold in about 2 weeks. Start them slow or don't stand behind them when they cough!

joe":10d23azr said:
I have heard that when used in a finishing diet it reduces the marbeling?

I read an article in the Western Livestock Journal a month or so ago that said if one feeds too much DDG, it will cause the cattle to put on 'back-fat' (not the term the article used, but that term escapes me at the moment), rather than marbling. If memory serves, I believe the article stated that one should not feed more than 20% of the total ration in DDG - but I'm not 100% certain on that.

I also heard that DDG shouldn't exceed 20% of the ration. The reason I was given was the fact that sulfur levels are higher because of the concentration in the DDG. These sulfur levels can become toxic and cause polio in the cattle. This especially becomes a problem when the levels of sulfate in drinking water are present in high amounts.

Good source of protein and cheap, do it. One guy in Missouri bought a semi just to haul the feed off by the ton. I dont know if I would go to that extream, but more and more I hear about what a good deal it is for the Ranchers.

Latest posts