ET protocols

Help Support CattleToday:

El_Putzo

Reaction score
Anybody have a good source for protocols used to setup cows to flush? Experiences with which protocol works best and why you feel that way.

thanks,

lots of different ones, I could give some examples but what it comes down to is figuring the right protocol for each cow, one flush on one cow won't tell you anything unless you hit the home run right out of the gate, most times with our donors we dicker around with different dose rates or products til we find the right one that will give us 6 to 12 good freezeable eggs. We do hit our donors with MuSe about a week or two before starting on superovulation drugs. Have had decent flush success with Pluset and Folltropin, prefer estrumate as my heat inducing drug.

Robert,
Where can I find Pluset? I was only able to find one package last year.

Sizmic

sizmic":298g2yax said:
Robert,
Where can I find Pluset? I was only able to find one package last year.

Sizmic

my ET vet sent me two packs yesterday for a couple *coughs* charolais cows we're about to flush. I can txt you his number if you like?

Really, charolais huh? I really don't know how to respond. Going for smokes or purebreds? I'm flushing an Angus to LT Bluegrass in the future. Had a crossbred son of his working the fields last spring, neighbor wanted to use him to. All together he worked 65 head at a year old. I know he didn't get them all but he tried. Will be interesting to see how many smokes come out of that field.

Facebook me the vet, mine may be able to get it now but it was in short supply last year for some reason.

Sizmic

Synchronization Protocols for embryo transfer (fresh to fresh) is very similiar to setting up cattle for AI, but for one additional step - setting up the Donor.

Superovulation

The donor cow is treated with a gonadotropin called follicle stimulating hormone (FSH).

This hormone is given am and pm for four days and as a result of the treatment, multiple follicles should develop on the ovaries of the donor.

Multiple numbers of eggs will be released at estrus. This process is called superovulation.
Stages of Embryo Development

Grade 1: Excellent or Good. Symmetrical and spherical embryo mass with individual blastomeres (cells) that are uniform in size, color, and density.

Grade 2: Fair, irregularities in overall shape of the embryonic mass or in size, color, and density of individual cells.

Grade 3: Poor. Major irregularities in shape of the embryonic mass or in size, color, and density of individual cells.

Grade 4: Dead or degenerating. Degenerating embryos: non-viable.

1 Unfertilized

2 2 to 12-cell

3 Early Morula

4 Morula

5 Early Blastocyst (excellent)

6 Blastocyst (excellent)

7 Expanded Blastocyst

8 Hatched Blastocyst

9 Expanded Hatched Blastocyst
Protocol

Day 0 Insert CIDR

DAY 2 GNRH

Day 4 FSH

Day 5 FSH

Day 6 FSH

Day 7 FSH; PGF2alpha; Pull CIDR

Day 8 None

Day 9 Breed

Day 10 Breed

Day 16 Flush

Recipient cow's on a fresh to fresh flush need to be at or past standing heat by CIDR synchronization by day 16+, so Day 7 of superovulation for the donor cow / recip cows must be at day 0.

JS

Latest posts