Establishment of New Pasture - When to operate tractor on it

Help Support CattleToday:

GaryDG

Reaction score
We've reseeded and harrowed a recovering pasture. The new grass is comming up.

The good news: the grass is up
The bad news: so are the weeds
The reality: the longer I wait the stronger the grass and the weeds get.

Question: Should I apply the herbicide (Weedmaster) now or later?

I want to put our cows on it in about 2 months. We probably will have periodic rain (Willamette Valley, OR) for another 45-60 days.

We intend to apply the herbicide using a tractor-based beam-sprayer.

Thanks!!!

do the weeds look like their giving the grass alot of competition i would aleast wait to the ground is dry and make wide turns so you wont plow in the turns with the front tires and not make but one pass not overlapping

Wait until the ground gets as dry as it can in the valley (impossible I know :shock: ) and spray it. Weeds never get any easier to kill. Weedmaster sure works good on small broadleaves, much better than 2,4 D alone. I would suggest adding a spreader/sticker surfactant to try and maybe make the spray a little more rain tight and hope it doesn't rain for a good 24 hours after application.

Is think pasture planted into existing sod? That can allow you to get on the ground a little sooner, if it a new seeding of grass into bare dirt the plants and ground will both be soft and tender, and a commercial rig with flotation tires or a 4 wheeler with booms might be better.

Without having seen your place or the weed problem, I would say wait until mid May. By then we should be drying out, LOL. Pick a time when we have had 3 or 4 days of good weather in a row.

Latest posts