escape artist

Help Support CattleToday:

GB, that is my understanding too. It is always in the best interest of all livestock owners to know the laws rather than go by hearsay.
When it comes down to the law, ignorance is not an excuse.

dont worry if she makes me mad enough she will go to the sale.she was just being stubborn and didnt want her and her calf in the pasture they was in.plus she knows what hotwire is.but she is missing out on getting fed everyday.

chippie":swaup4d5 said:
GB, that is my understanding too. It is always in the best interest of all livestock owners to know the laws rather than go by hearsay.
When it comes down to the law, ignorance is not an excuse.
It all depends on how a county's stock law is worded.
..Shall not knowingly allow livestock to roam freely on public roads
Some counties have omitted the word "knowingly" and it causes headaches and legal problems. County clerk can provide any resident with a copy of their county's stock law.

Hook":2eqnm7k0 said:
I can't stand a cow that keeps getting out. If it's a bad fence or a weak spot or tree down that's one thing. But a cow that gets out just because it can grows wheels real fast

I agree. My escape artists are calves.

Like some mentioned before, is she worth it to keep putting up with a problem cow. Some people have thin patience but if she is a top performer some will put up with a little more. Right now with cattle prices as high as they are it makes it a lot easier to send problem animals to market. We have a replacement heifer that we have concerns could be a problem as a cow because she already is high strung in the pasture and gets riled up when you have her confined in a corral where she will kick and act up when you have her in the chute. If she were to have difficulties calving we have concerns that she would be hard to get in a pen or the barn to help so unless she drastically calms down before we preg check later this year she is a prime candidate to go to the sale barn. Wouldn't want to risk our reputation by trying to sell her private treaty as putting her in a new and unfamilar environment surely will not help her demeanor either.

My problem is not mine. Its the neighbor's cows. One neighbor in particular. Now that I am running two bulls with the herd full time, his bull learned a valuable lesson. Problem solved - for now.

ive already culled 2 late calvers because when they wouldve calved id lost a year on them.plus they was 11 and 12yrs old.bred cows heifers or pairs can cost me anywhere from $2500 to $4000 to get bought.

As far as I'm concerned she is not a top notch cow, if she's hard to keep in. If she was mine and the only one getting out all the time. She would grow wheels. B&G :nod:

Latest posts