escape artist

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
well ive got a cow that i call houdini because she earned that name as heifer.when she was a heifer she would get out.we would put her back in the pasture and look for her hole she got out of.never found her hole.but we found out she was crawling through or under the fence with out messing the barbed wire up.she finally grew out of it till last nite.we had her and her calf in the trap pasture.well she got out and we finally put her back in the big pasture.checked for holes loose or broke wires found none.so tryed to pen her back with calf and the calf got back out in the big pasture.so have to catch them again in a few days when she calms down.

You know what to do with her. Of course if she is a top notch cow , I would put up with her. It's easy for me to tell you to ship her. Wish it was a bull, I am in the market for another one. Stay safe, bill

well she is a pretty good cow since she had a show calf prospect that i sold this year.but i sure threatened to send her to the sale.

We had one do the exact same thing. Except she always put herself back! Hard to sell, when she didn't really mess up anything, and always raised the biggest calf. She finally came up open and took a trip to town.

she isnt a hard keeper.she is mudd fat with a 6 month old calf on her.guess she knew she wasnt going to see her calf again.as its going to a new home soon.

maybe hard to keep her in. :)

That's a shame when a good cow is like that. I had a longhorn that would not stay in the fence. I had to ship her because I was afraid that someone would hit her. Our road is straight and remote and we get kids who like to race on it.

Red Bull Breeder":2khmcuba said:
Just where did you get hard keeper anywhere in this thread? You would no a hard keeper if it was hitting you in hindend.
Don't need a cow that caused problems with anything that's outside the pasture. Grazing in cornfields, wandering on roads or dealing with complaints from neighbors...something that we don't need a headache. Worst thing it can happen to you is somebody hits that cow with their vehicle and you are getting sued.

she needs to be taught respect for wire, hook up a good hot wire. son had a longhorn that would go through or over any 4 strand wire. I shut her in a small lot with hot wire & she learnt something

I can't and won't put up with one that's causing problems. But that don't make them a hard keeper. Unless you think hard to keep in the pasture is a hard keeper. Taurus just is so cow smart sometimes its just amazing.

Red Bull Breeder":3oclwgq5 said:
I can't and won't put up with one that's causing problems. But that don't make them a hard keeper. Unless you think hard to keep in the pasture is a hard keeper. Taurus just is so cow smart sometimes its just amazing.
I'm amazing that you are still giving me a hard time for no reason even I did nothing to you....

I'd make sure she's tagged well and branded. Tattooed is a good idea also. We had one i called Traveler. She would travel the countryside and then come home. The neighboring rancher would call and say he saw her, i'd get to the back and there she was saying, "What, i didnt go anywhere".... She quite once she got older and bigger. I suspect it got harder for her to squeeze through the fence or jumping it..

Had a jumper once that would get out and walk around to the front of the place and wait for you to open the gate for her. Guess she didn't like being alone.

Taurus":e0asvw7a said:
Red Bull Breeder":e0asvw7a said:
I'm amazing that you are still giving me a hard time for no reason even I did nothing to you....
He's just vocalizing what a lot of us are seeing. ;-)

I have two that can get through pretty much any fence and will if they see the need but they both have secured a place in my herd for a long time to come if they keep doing the rest of it right. My neighbor was starting to get a little bothered but with this drought he's been picky about who goes and who stays and he's kept some that don't know where home is but know how to stay alive and I haven't said a dam thing about it other than to tell him where she's at so we're even.

I know someone whose cows were getting out on a fm road..His fence was junk, so he constantly had cows on the road. Well, one day someone hit a cow at night. Got hurt pretty bad. Now, we've all been told that if you hit a cow on a state highway, its the owner of the cows fault, but not on a farm to market road. There the person who hits the cow owes the owner of the cow. In saying that, the guy who hit the cow sued and won a very big settlement. He had enough people who would vouch that they saw the animals out consistently. Another instance, a neighbor hit a cow around the corner, a different persons cow. They had to pay for the cow and their car, which was totaled. They didnt know about the other guy and missed an opportunity in getting a settlement. I would have testified in saying this other person had cattle out, which would have been the truth. They had cows out more than the one who was sued.

cowgirl8":2ug71vzf said:
I know someone whose cows were getting out on a fm road..His fence was junk, so he constantly had cows on the road. Well, one day someone hit a cow at night. Got hurt pretty bad. Now, we've all been told that if you hit a cow on a state highway, its the owner of the cows fault, but not on a farm to market road. .
This has been beat to death here at CT.
Underlined--------Whoever told you that is in error. That, is an erroneous and (if your county has enacted a stock law) a very misleading statement. In fact, it is opposite of what the State of Texas law says, and that is what causes this "no liability on Farm to Market roads" misconception. Good luck with that in court. The state itself of course, has no stock law--it's left up to the counties to write and enact one. All but a handfull of counties have a stock law on the books and unless your county is one of the few that doesn't have a stock law on the books, a motorist can sue and recieve a judgement if it is found a stock owner in your county has allowed stock to run loose on a FM road. .

What you are referring to is the Texas State stance on livestock. The state itself basically says Texas is still open range, and the State went as far as writing legislation requiring citizens to fence open range animals OUT of their private property. Open Range--It's true--as far as the state is concerned. Texas Attorney General Gregg Abbott shocked lots of un-informed people with that comment a few years ago, but it is, again, as far as State of Texas statutes goes, a true statement. That is not the end tho.
It's left solely up to the counties to enact their own stock law (or not) , how it's written and what the enforcement procedures or penalties might be, but the county laws cannot abridge or over-ride any exception the State's statute law may be, and there are, by Texas State Statute, two exceptions to the open range doctrine.
Exception 1: (this is the allowance for the county to become closed range instead of open range)
The first exception to the open range doctrine concerns what are commonly referred to as "stock
laws". A stock law is a specific law that prohibits the open running of an enumerated type of livestock in a
county or portion of a county. Chapter 143.073 of the Agriculture Code permits local elections to adopt a law (a.k.a. "stock law"),
where a person may not permit any animal of the class mentioned in the proclamation to run at large in the county or area in which the election was held.
A typical stock law will prohibit horses, mules, donkeys, sheep, goats, and cattle from running at large. Most elections for stock laws occurred between 1910 and 1930. Once enacted, the region covered by the stock law is effectively changed from "open range" to "closed range".

Exception #2.
The second exception to the open range doctrine is referred to as the "highway" exception. The Texas Agriculture Code 143.102 states any person who owns or has responsibility for the control of a horse, mule, donkey, cow, bull, steer, hog, sheep, or goat may not knowingly permit the animal to traverse or roam at large, unattended, on the Highway. Sec. 143.102. RUNNING AT LARGE ON HIGHWAY PROHIBITED. A person who owns or has responsibility for the control of a horse, mule, donkey, cow, bull, steer, hog, sheep, or goat may not knowingly permit the animal to traverse or roam at large, unattended, on the right-of-way of a highway.

The statute defines a "highway" as "a U.S. highway or a state highway in this state, but does not include a numbered farm-to-market road

This /\ is where the murkiness comes in. The state, does not include FM roads in the Statute's highway exception, but almost every county does include them in their own enacted stock law. Unless your county has no stock law or specifically excludes FM roads from their county wide stock law, the stock owner CAN be held liable.

Look at it this way:
Most of the 100s of miles of roads in any Texas county are FM roads. Inasmuch as FM roads are already excluded from the State's Highway exception to open range doctrine, if it were the county's intention that FM roads be exempt, they would have no reason to even pass a stock law in the first place. They are already exempt -- by state law. Counties pass stock laws in order to specifically include FM roads in keeping livestock off the roads.

The very last section of this article is the only relevant part--Control of Animals/Road accidents.
Common legal issues in the Texas Beef cattle industry

It refers to WEDDLE v. HUDGINS, a legal liablity case in which a driver on a FM road in Wood County hit a cow and sued for damages caused to his pickup. He won. Why? Because there was a stock law enacted in that county. The cow's owner appealed the decision on several points, one being the State's open range Doctrine.
Here's what the state supreme court said about that:

Appellee sued appellant for damages for personal injuries and for damages to his pick-up truck resulting from a collision at night with a cow on Farm-to-Market Road No. 17 in Wood County on November 16, 1967. Trial was before a jury, and in accord with the verdict, judgment was rendered for appellee for $1,613.00. Appellant brings this appeal on four points.

Appellant's first point complains that there is no common law or statutory basis for a negligence finding against him because he owed no duty to appellee. We do not find this complaint in appellant's amended motion for new trial, and under Rule 374, Texas Rules of Civil Procedure, it is waived. However, if this point is intended to raise a fundamental error, the question has been answered against appellant's contention. Article 1370a, Penal Code, V.A.T.S., makes it unlawful to knowingly permit a cow to traverse or roam at large, unattended, on the right-of-way of any U. S. Highway or State Highway but not including numbered Farm-to-Market roads. Article 1370, Penal Code, V.A.T.S., provides it is unlawful to knowingly permit any cattle to run at large where the provisions of the laws of this State have been adopted prohibiting such animals from running at large. When it is shown that the county had adopted the stock law, as it was shown here, the statutory basis for a finding of negligence would be the same as under Article 1370a, and the authorities have held that liability for a collision between an animal and an automobile may be imposed on the owner of the animal based upon his having unlawfully permitted it to run at large on a highway in violation of a statute and that such act was a proximate cause of the collision.
http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case? ... 6&as_vis=1

So, unless a county has NO stock law, or that county has one, but SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDES Farm to Market roads from said stock law, the owner of loose cattle CAN be held liable for any damages incurred because the animals were loose on the FM road.

Like i said, we've all been told............and like i said, one got sued, the other had to pay for the calf. Insurance handled the paying for the calf, and i think that if insurance handled it, there was a reason they had to pay for the calf. I know nothing about the law, just what i've been told, i know nothing about insurance other than they wont pay for anything they can legally get out of. Didnt know my simple comment that i found interesting since it was on the same road, would get such a response. :lol2: it is what it is..

Latest posts