Equipment and hurricanes

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
I was wondering what some of you, close to the hurricane, intended on doing with your equipment? I put mine out in a wide open field ,away from trees ,during Ivan and it worked very well. Looked like the tractor had been pressure washed. My barn is surrounded by old oak trees and I was concerned that one of them might fall during the storm.

Whenever there's a good chance of severe weather in my area I park my tractors, balers, and anything with full coverage outside. Everything else I put in the barn. I'd rather pay $500 deductable than have to buy new equipment out of pocket. Don't tell my insurance agent.

denoginnizer":166xasyo said:
I was wondering what some of you, close to the hurricane, intended on doing with your equipment? I put mine out in a wide open field ,away from trees ,during Ivan and it worked very well. Looked like the tractor had been pressure washed. My barn is surrounded by old oak trees and I was concerned that one of them might fall during the storm.

IT's funny you asked this. I saw a post where folks were saying they were putting their stock in the barn. I would leave mine out where they can have a fighting chance. I have seen one barn blow down killing three horses. My advice is, if it 's a pole barn leave the livestock out side. As far as equipment goes. Most of mine is under the hay barn or in the pole barn. I figure a worse case is it will get scratched a little if the roof falls in. I have seen to many problems with water getting blown in areas it was not supposed to be in by bing left out in hurricanes. Now if there is a chance of tree's going down on the equipment then I would move them outside.

Park tractors and trailers next to the old barn and strap the barn to the equipment. Turn livestock out in clear fields. They'll just turn their butts to the wind and keep grazing. Pay for good insurance or move from prone areas.

I was going to my cows in the barn but i didn't. I got to thinkin what i fit fell so i left them out and like you said D.R. Cattle they turned their butts to the wind and kept on eatin they were out there most of the day except for a few times when the wind and rain got to rough. :D

My tractor is now clean as a whistle and we had only minor damage to trees. Glad it wasnt as bad as Ivan