Equi-spot

Help Support CattleToday:

Hillary_Indiana

Reaction score
Hello...again...you guys are probably getting tired of my questions. :roll:

Anyway, here's another one for ya...Anyone have an opinion on something called "equi-spot". We are spending bookoos of money on fly spray and thought (if this works) it might save us a lot of time and money.

Also...along the same lines we started one of our dogs on a similar product (once a month tube for ticks/fleas) called Frontline. They sell a similar product with a different brandname at Tractor Supply. Do you all think there's a difference...it's a lot cheaper but same directions.

Anyway, horses are the main concern (of course). Also...we want to use it on our donkeys if possible (they are getting ATE UP)

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate all the advice...I rely on this board more than anything else I think. :shock:

I tried it for awhile and it did not seem to work very well for my horses. I have tried many different sprays but went back to using Repel X. I installed the little battery powered sprayers in the barn and that really helped control the fly problem. Just try to keep the barn and surrounding area free from manure to help.

Tried it for the first time the other day on one mare who is usually covered with flies even the others aren't bothered at all. She has no flies on her at all now. Still not fully convinced but am convinced enough to put it on all the horses for a more extensive trial.

Chris

ffscj":h4ribmv5 said:
Tried it for the first time the other day on one mare who is usually covered with flies even the others aren't bothered at all. She has no flies on her at all now. Still not fully convinced but am convinced enough to put it on all the horses for a more extensive trial.

Chris

Chris, let know how your results turn out. I am having more and more problems each day with flies on the horses.

ffscj,

I'm a non believer without trying it, let us know in a week or so how it works.... I may become a believer.

Alan

Seems to me I might've used it years ago, but my memory tends to be short term. :roll: Currently use UltraShield for riding and Final Fly T in the off times.

I used a product that I got at Tractor Supply on the horses. It has the same main ingredient as equi-spot (permethryn?). It was kind of expensive $23.80 for a 32 oz. bottle. But, you are only supposed to mix like 1 oz of the formula with a whole gallon of water so it should last awhile. I did the spot treatment on one of our horses...and I sprayed the other two down with it...the directions said you could do it either way. It's been three days now and it seems to be helping...the bottle says to treat them every 14-21 days. I notice that the flies don't seem to be bothering them as much...I'm anxious to see if the flies with leave their heads alone during trail rides.

That pryrethrin (sp)?? stuff is good for flies but the mosquiotes seem to love it. I just spent 15 bucks finding that out. Then I bought some human mosquito repellent one with .23% deet and it does a good enough job. I found some old camping repellent and it was .54% deet and it worked great, but those little wipes don't go far. Our mosquito season is about over, than heavens.

Well, I've used it on all the horses now for a couple of months and definitely saw a decrease in the number of flies on the horses. Not all were gone but most were. Didn't repeat in two weeks, just reapplied when I noticed more flies.

Chris

permethrin and pyrethrin are two different chemical structures....check what it has in it and how much is in there before assuming that they are the same....a 1% difference in concentration can make a lot of difference in how well it works.

I have used Equi-Spot for 2 or 3 summers now. I only use it when pests drive my pasture horses nuts, as I don't like chemicals on my horses. But, what esle can I do? It costs about $12 for 3 vials ready to use, and has to be reapplied every 14 days, but that is longer protection than any other I have found in 40yrs of fighting flies on horses. Repel X,Deep woods, Bronco, even Wipe....forget it, they don't last more than a couple hours. Equi-Spot lasts 2 weeks!
But, I still don't like stuff in the blood stream.

Latest posts