EQIP

Help Support CattleToday:

midTN_Brangusman

Reaction score
Has anyone here went through the process using EQIP with the NRCS office? I recently purchased a ranch and looking to renovate the pastures. I am looking at several thousands of dollars for seed, fertilize and spraying. I just wanted to see if it was worth it to go through the process and how much the NRCS office actually covered and what they didn't cover. Thanks in advance.

I've used it for cross fencing and tire tanks recently, I should come out making money by doing most of the work myself. I've done some seeding years ago through EQUIP, can't remember exactly how it worked out.

When I worked for the conservation district I had several clients who signed up for EQIP. Some really liked it others not at all. How the program is administered will vary from state to state and office to office. I cost nothing but time to ask and look into it. The guy that me and my clients had to work with wanted a person to sign up for everything under the sun. More atta boys for him. Also remember as we always said an elephant is a mouse built to NRCS specification. So my advise is to make sure you know exactly what is expected of you when you sign anything.

We've utilized EQIP for brush management and seeding in the past. We had another contract with NRCS that was related to drought issues.... can't remember what it was called. It was a flat rate payment, not a cost share like EQIP and covered brush management, native seeding, cross-fencing and a solar well. We just submitted a request for additional cross-fencing and another solar well through EQIP. Overall we've been happy with the process and the results. . One of the folks in the NRCS office was super easy to work with; the other one was total pill.

Done it for stream exclusion, fencing out a branch and installing well and water troughs. Im in Virginia so expect to see more political pressure to keep cattle out of water in the coming years. I also did it for crop conversion and am thinking about doing a winter feeding pad in the coming years.

The agent assigned to you makes all of the difference. In our area you can use either NRCS or Lord Fairfax, so you can shop your ideas. There is sometimes ample room for negotation, so make sure you advocate for what you want and see if they can support. If you do work yourself (I contracted the water system out, did conversion myself) record everything so you can bill your time and materials. Unlike Kenny, the org I worked with didnt pay out until completion (which is why I contracted the water system out, as it would have taken me a year to complete.)

We have been trying to get some cross fencing and more water developed thru them. But they've been wasting our time since 2019. They've been very quick to help the very well off people around us. But not us.

Probably for the best. Could be a bunch of BS. But dad is a vet and is higher percentage Native American, they were going to cost share 90 percent of it. That would be nice, I won't lie.

We have been trying to get some cross fencing and more water developed thru them. But they've been wasting our time since 2019. They've been very quick to help the very well off people around us. But not us.

Probably for the best. Could be a bunch of BS. But dad is a vet and is higher percentage Native American, they were going to cost share 90 percent of it. That would be nice, I won't lie.
A buddy in Rogersville applied and got approved fairly quickly. But he had to shake them up when no 2 of them would tell him the same story.
After I retire this winter I will do some consulting work and will help you get things going.

Be careful. Once you get addicted to government "dope", that "Build Back Better" wealth redistribution plan might start looking good. Might only take one time for some to get addicted.

I have built two ponds with EQIP.

I have another pond and a wash teed up for next year.

Beyond that I did a lot of riparian and wildlife work per EQIP specs at my own expense.

I have the NRCS folks coming from around the state to use my place as a training exercise.

They are very easy to work with. My NRCS guy does all the paperwork and simply tells me when I am approved.

This area has horrible erosion problems, and that is what I am fighting.

As others have opined... the person in charge of the local office has a tremendous impact on how good/bad your experience will be.
I did a few things with NRCS years back - some good, some bad. One thing I could never get past was that our office totally refused to consider any assistance in installing large tire waterers... it had to be a concrete stock tank or nothing... and I knew folks over in eastern KY who were putting in tire waterers all over the place... but the guy in charge here would have nothing to do with them.
Overall, I usually had to come back and re-do things on my own dime after following their requirements. It often seemed that their requirements and regulations - particularly for EQUIP programs I participated in - were more aimed at improving wildlife habitat than improving forages and management for cattle producers.
After a few years, I just quit applying for any of their programs. They'd sometimes even call me and tell me about a new one they had available, but I'd gotten to the point that I didn't want any more governmental involvement in my business than I could avoid, and their requirements often didn't make good sense for my operation, so I just politely declined.

As others have opined... the person in charge of the local office has a tremendous impact on how good/bad your experience will be.
I did a few things with NRCS years back - some good, some bad. One thing I could never get past was that our office totally refused to consider any assistance in installing large tire waterers... it had to be a concrete stock tank or nothing... and I knew folks over in eastern KY who were putting in tire waterers all over the place... but the guy in charge here would have nothing to do with them.
Overall, I usually had to come back and re-do things on my own dime after following their requirements. It often seemed that their requirements and regulations - particularly for EQUIP programs I participated in - were more aimed at improving wildlife habitat than improving forages and management for cattle producers.
After a few years, I just quit applying for any of their programs. They'd sometimes even call me and tell me about a new one they had available, but I'd gotten to the point that I didn't want any more governmental involvement in my business than I could avoid, and their requirements often didn't make good sense for my operation, so I just politely declined.
That's about how I feel about it anymore. But that 90 percent cost share, if I remember right, would be pretty dang awesome.

Latest posts