Epd's breakdown

Help Support CattleToday:

BobbyLummus1

Reaction score
I dont know much about Epd's and BA genetics . Can someone breakdown his epds's and any opinion on genetics please. I'll get pics . He's 1025 lbs born 12/28/16

nothing impressive to me, not very much growth by todays numbers, Interim numbers are not true at all, , his dame is a carrier so makes him potential unless they have tested him, it will show on top of papers, probably DDP. not a predestined fan

looks like a great buy to me. real good calving ease-calving ease direct 11, birth weight -4.2, weaning weight 46 lbs 0ver average, yearling weight 83 lbs over average, calving ease maternal exceptional 11,good on milking ability 20 is above average, marbling not bad at 29, fat good at-.01

reg # would make it much easier to read than having to twist sideways and squint to read.
BUT I can see his epd accuracy is so low that I'd base 90% of any purchase decision on his appearance.

Yes his dam is a DD carrier and without testing him.... usually bring only a bid or 2 over slaughter price.
DD is not a problem, as long as you don't keep any replacements from them (unless each retained tests dd free)

Developmental Duplication has the potential to be devastating to the commercial herd IF any of your cows COULD be possible carriers. That would happen IF you previously used an Angus bull that was a carrier-without you knowing and you saved daughters. DD can result in early abortion so you'd have a higher percentage of open cows without knowing why. If the calf goes to full term and is the product of a DD bull and a DD cow, you will get an extra leg attached randomly to the calf or a big bulge on the head or spine or shoulder.
You can use this bull and save his daughters but understand you will need to be VERY AWARE of the genetics of future sires you use on these females.
Now, ask yourself, Is it worth saving $500-$1000-$your amount here-?

This is based on not knowing the carrier status of your bull. I am treating him as if he is a carrier. If you do the testing, the people who sold him SHOULD have done it-grrrr-and he comes back DDF, none of this matters.

Couldn't read the registration, but if DDC why mess with it. There are others available.

DD is not a problem if you're only running commercial cows. The chances of a development issue is very rare. We've got a bull that is DDC and have many calfs and never a problem. We also have one cow that is also DDC and she's thrown good calves over the years with no problems. The problem comes in if you're running registered cattle. Most people who run all registered cattle do not want any cattle with any DD potential mainly due to resale value of calves.

Jerry, don't think you understand EPDs. average WW is 50 average YW is 88 in angus so below average for both, not a very good bull if you expect some grow in your calves.
Maybe your being sarcastic

kilroy60":s48uhusb said:
DD is not a problem if you're only running commercial cows. The chances of a development issue is very rare. We've got a bull that is DDC and have many calfs and never a problem. We also have one cow that is also DDC and she's thrown good calves over the years with no problems. The problem comes in if you're running registered cattle. Most people who run all registered cattle do not want any cattle with any DD potential mainly due to resale value of calves.
Not quite there. If you have used Angus bulls fora number of years you could have been buying carriers before it was told and promoted. The problem would be if you retain your own heifers or buy replacements from someone who might have also used a carrier or two.

Not a thing to do with registered or commercial differences. You have been fortunate that you did not get a DDC earlier in the program.

ccr":1045j42z said:
Couldn't read the registration, but if DDC why mess with it. There are others available.
Why mess with it?
I'll bet Bobby didn't know until it was pointed out here and seller didn't mention bcs he wants to sell the bull.
He's ddp (possible) his dam is ddc (carrier) so 50/50 chance he's ddf (free) but won't know unless he's tested.

Bobby (like others) not familiar with angus pedigrees and epds might not be aware of ddc and some breeders will
sell ddc animals or their offspring without mentioning it.... (IF buyer doesn't ask, seller doesn't tell)
A true buyer beware sales technique.

As for the bull, his sire S/A Solution is an extreme calving ease sire ced 17 bw -3.3 both in top 1%
and it's always hard to get any more than average growth from any extreme calving ease sire.
His $W 48 is breed average, I guess the one thing I can say is he'll be heifer safe for calving ease.

Ebenezer":3b4qundu said:
kilroy60":3b4qundu said:
Not quite there. If you have used Angus bulls fora number of years you could have been buying carriers before it was told and promoted. The problem would be if you retain your own heifers or buy replacements from someone who might have also used a carrier or two.

Not a thing to do with registered or commercial differences. You have been fortunate that you did not get a DDC earlier in the program.

Totally correct AND-as I believe I said earlier-a devastating situation for a commercial herd because one of the traits of Developmental Defect is early to mid-term abortion of the defective calf.
With simple recessive genetic conditions (DD, AM, NH, CA, OS, etc.), an animal must carry two copies of the defective gene in order to show the condition. Mating a carrier to a free animal would result in half of the progeny being carriers and all the progeny would appear normal. Mating two carrier animals will result in 25% affected calves, 50% normal phenotype but carriers of the defective gene, and 25% free of the genetic defect. With non-lethal homozygotes as is the case with DD and CA, the potential exists to breed homozygous recessive animals. Breeding affected animals will quickly increase the frequency of the defective allele as every progeny will inherit the broken gene. Breeding strategies should attempt to increase the frequency of desirable alleles while decreasing the frequency of the defective alleles.

You can use this bull BUT be aware of the fact you have willingly bred this defect into your herd and from now on you will have to be very knowledgeable of future sires choices.

If you do not keep any offspring of this bull---'ya got no worries. His first calf crop will tell you if any previous sires were DDC.

Son of Butch":iiubrk05 said:
Full term DD calves are very rare.
#1 problem with dd is embryonic death, natures way of dealing with undesirables and most often goes unnoticed.
Doesn't solve economic losses to anyone who has them. That is the bottom line.

thanks Ive learned here . I have never kept a heifer, all commercial cows , all calves sell, my herds consist of put together sale barn cows .i put the young bramer out there with him too . Hopefully the two young bulls with get 30 2nd stage cows bred when the time comes in this pasture

Latest posts