Enough?!?

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

Reaction score
I really dont' need any replies to this as it will just turn like every other thread.

But why on earth all the angus bashing? So the breed did an amazing job of marketing and getting themselves to where they are. MikeC, guest25...we get that you dislike angus but bashing them isn't going to convert more people to your chosen breed. Especially guest25 where pieds absolutely do not fit the mold of cattle that the industry wants. Charolais are a much better breed to infuse into the mainstream geneticbase.

We all get the fact that breeders of other breeds have a problem with CABs success but you know what never has there been an angus requirement for CAB. Just quality and 51% black hided. ENOUGH SAID those are the requirements now get over it!

Jake":34bszo0k said:
I really dont' need any replies to this as it will just turn like every other thread.

But why on earth all the angus bashing? So the breed did an amazing job of marketing and getting themselves to where they are. MikeC, guest25...we get that you dislike angus but bashing them isn't going to convert more people to your chosen breed. Especially guest25 where pieds absolutely do not fit the mold of cattle that the industry wants. Charolais are a much better breed to infuse into the mainstream geneticbase.

We all get the fact that breeders of other breeds have a problem with CABs success but you know what never has there been an angus requirement for CAB. Just quality and 51% black hided. ENOUGH SAID those are the requirements now get over it!

Got your tail under the rocking chair? Angus came out with a brilliant marketing scheme and this will pass as have all the others.
I have seen the Herf's Gert's Chars' Simm's get hot and then fade, Angus will do the same thing.
It is about herd management no matter the breed, but Cattlemen are the worlds worst at looking for the goose that laid the golden egg and it doesn't exsist. They love to chase and dog the latest fad.
Never have I meet a cattlemen yet admit his breed wasn't the best. The breeds board is nothing but who can pee the highest.

I agree there is no reason to bash any breed. Most breeds have a role to play somewhere. It may not be your herd under your conditions, but if a breed didn't have a role to play somewhere it would have been extinct.

Caustic Burno":11boyvbu said:
Got your tail under the rocking chair? Angus came out with a brilliant marketing scheme and this will pass as have all the others.
I have seen the Herf's Gert's Chars' Simm's get hot and then fade, Angus will do the same thing.
It is about herd management no matter the breed, but Cattlemen are the worlds worst at looking for the goose that laid the golden egg and it doesn't exsist. They love to chase and dog the latest fad.
Never have I meet a cattlemen yet admit his breed wasn't the best. The breeds board is nothing but who can pee the highest.

I agree with you 100% caustic. I just get sick of every topic turning into a CAB bashfest. I'll admit I'm and angus man, we run black and red genetics. I'll also admit that there is improvement to be made in the breed, and I'll also say I think angus has gotten itself in trouble chasing the bigger is better fad. but I definately don't think that pieds of all cattle are a cureall.... they are next to the furthest away from the industry standard as it gets.

:heart: I love my registered hereford herd :heart: But---
at the sale barn where I sale my calves, the black baldies
I send bring more than the herfs. I run a reg. Angus bull
on some of my herfs and limo cows. It just makes good sense
to raise what brings the most cash . :D

For the most part people who cant see through the cab scheme. Teach their children about santa, the tooth fairy, the easter bunny, and on and on and on.

THESE PEOPLE ALSO WILL TALK TALK TALK ABOUT HOW GOOD THERE BREED IS. Let push come to shove on verifying premiums or backing up what tastes best and there's no takers.

Why not back your breed up with some money say $5,000 TO PUT ON A REAL TASTE TEST.

What would you possibly have to lose since you can say everything is indisputable. Looks to me like by what you boast it would be a win win situation for you.[/quote]

That's all fine and dandy if you have 5K to blow. I for one don't. I don't care what your cattle taste like, have no reason to put my money where my mouth is as I'm not even going to pretend to be a bigtime breeder. I'm a simple commercial guy that knows good and well what fits our breeding system and what sells. Quality, consistent cattle sell and until we quit topping the sells around our part of the world I won't change my breeding system. I don't even give a rats behind about the
CAB program as I don't utilize it.

Also to add I'm not at all boasting, nowhere in any of my posts do I see boasting. Please point this out to me. My only statement is that Cab stated that the animals had to be 51% black hided for the start of the program. This doesn't mean it has to be angus, just quality consistent cattle that carry angus characteristics meaning COLOR.

Jake, I have no problem with angus cattle, I have some myself. I have had Brangus for YEARS. I showed angus calves back in the 1950's.

But the ordinary Joe does not know that angus, or any increment thereof, is NOT a requirement for CAB.

When the dumba$$ extension folks, among others, around here recommend angus bulls to the smaller cattlemen in my area simply because the calves MIGHT qualify (some say 15%) for CAB. It is taking money out of my pocket.

CAB (and the angus folks) are taking all the credit for all the crossbred calves producing the beef that are helping CAB to stay afloat.

I say give credit where credit is due. Try to see if you can find in any CAB advertising where they tell people that CAB is not 100% angus.

That is the implication that they are making and it is false.

MikeC":3ayp7b1m said:
I say give credit where credit is due. Try to see if you can find in any CAB advertising where they tell people that CAB is not 100% angus.

Mike I know I can't find one, it would be bad marketing if CAB did advertise like that. But that's what it is is advertising and we all know that almost every product on the market in any industry is advertised the same way. Namely the way that sells.

MikeC":usmgxpj4 said:
Jake, I have no problem with angus cattle, I have some myself. I have had Brangus for YEARS. I showed angus calves back in the 1950's.

But the ordinary Joe does not know that angus, or any increment thereof, is NOT a requirement for CAB.

When the dumba$$ extension folks, among others, around here recommend angus bulls to the smaller cattlemen in my area simply because the calves MIGHT qualify (some say 15%) for CAB. It is taking money out of my pocket.

CAB (and the angus folks) are taking all the credit for all the crossbred calves producing the beef that are helping CAB to stay afloat.

Show me some CAB advertising that says CAB IS 100% Angus. And we know higher percentage Angus hit the CAB mark at a higher rate.

CAB has been around for over 30 years, Mike. Why weren't you complaining 20 years ago when Continentals were kicking Angus and other British breed butt? It was the same program; same advertising. But as long as you were making $$ it was OK. Now that it's hitting your pocket book, it's suddenly misleading the public! You're not fooling anyone but yourself with all this hype about CAB being lies and misrepresentations. You're not out to save the world and make it safe for truth and justice! You're out to save your own pocketbook. Good luck.... :roll:

Jake":63y5awtv said:
MikeC":63y5awtv said:

Mike I know I can't find one, it would be bad marketing if CAB did advertise like that.

Precisely my point. :lol:

Frankie, Are you saying you're not protective and defensive of your "Bottom Line"? :lol:

I feel CAB (not angus) is a lie. You cannot change that.

guest25":2q9zg6ll said:
but I definately don't think that pieds of all cattle are a cureall.... they are next to the furthest away from the industry standard as it gets.

For the most part people who cant see through the cab scheme. Teach their children about santa, the tooth fairy, the easter bunny, and on and on and on.

THESE PEOPLE ALSO WILL TALK TALK TALK ABOUT HOW GOOD THERE BREED IS. Let push come to shove on verifying premiums or backing up what tastes best and there's no takers.

Why not back your breed up with some money say $5,000 TO PUT ON A REAL TASTE TEST.

What would you possibly have to lose since you can say everything is indisputable. Looks to me like by what you boast it would be a win win situation for you.[/quote]

I would rather do the "bank" test than the "taste" test. I'll tell you what, you eat your beef and I will sell mine. Guess what, when Chars or Herf or who knows what breed is the latest fad and brings in more of the green stuff I will jump on that band wagon as well.

I will still like Angus, just like I like LH and Highlanders now.

You can can call me a wagon jumper and fad chaser all the way to the bank. Just remember, somebody got rich off of hulla hoops and frizbees, you can even manage to stillfind them. :lol:

guest25":2f4f1soh said:
Show me a cattleman, rancher, or farmer who has gotten rich off of 15.6 percent of his assumed to be angus influenced cattle at under20 bucks a head. ;-)

well hey I'll take that 20 bucks a head if you dont' want it.

I guess I can identify with some of the sentiment of this post.

Folks just don't like to think that they might have been duped.

I have seen enough reports from independent sources, not tied to CAB or the AAA way of thinking to know that making them higher percentage Angus doesn't make them make more CAB. I've seen Continental/Angus cross cattle make a higher % CAB than more purebred Angus for I think this is where folks get upset. CAB and AAA do their own analysis of CAB. It's a classic situation of not having any outside review.

I guess I find it a little irksome that while a couple folks here are real sticklers for anyone else bringing in "research" without any outside review, they forget that their own "researchers" are the worst offenders.

Badlands

angus cattle their self aint a fad. they are a breed that works. in about ever situation their put in. and there are other breeds that do too you wont catch me knockin those either.

MikeC":2rwzibws said:
Jake":2rwzibws said:
MikeC":2rwzibws said:

Mike I know I can't find one, it would be bad marketing if CAB did advertise like that.

Precisely my point. :lol:

Frankie, Are you saying you're not protective and defensive of your "Bottom Line"? :lol:

I feel CAB (not angus) is a lie. You cannot change that.

I don't expect to change it. But the question remains: where was your righteous moaning about CAB being misleading when Angus and the other British breeds were in the toilet 20 years ago? Were you calling for your breed association to start their own branded beef program? Or were you setting back enjoying the rewards of bigger cattle? Believe me, when we bought our first Angus bull, black was not beautiful. We wanted one with a low BW EPD and at that time we had to do some looking to even find a bull with EPDs.

Yes, I'm defensive of my bottom line, but I don't have to bash other breeds to promote my own. You don't seem to be able to do anything except bash Angus. I find that tiresome and dishonest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts