Endophytes

Help Support CattleToday:

cattlekid

Reaction score
This is my first time raising beef steer. I am a contractor by trade and through a construction project came across some extra fescue sod I was going to put it in my pasture possibly, but am worried about endophytes in the grass. I am currently growing a pasture mix out in a little 2 acre pasture I have fenced off for the calves I'll be recieving next month....! I was wondering if I should add this fescue sod to the pasture,( about 2,000 sq. ft of sod) or if turf type fescues are not good for cattle. I heard it is bad for horses but don't know if the same is true about cattle....hoping someone might know.

Turf type fescue is not good for any livestock. I would not use it. I do not remember the reasons but if you do a search for fescue grass seed on the internet I think you'll find the information that you need. Grassland I believe is where I saw the information.

I'm only familar with the KY31 endophyte. Not sure if the lawn types, i.e. Chewings, cree[ing red, etc. have the same issues. That small amount of fescue, unless it's poisonous wouldn't/shouldn't have any real affect. Even the evil KY-31 works weel if it's diluted somewhat with another grass or legume. If they have anything else they're pretty picky about eating the high endophyte stuff during the summer when it's going to seed.
The enophyte in fescue is what allows to to be abused and still prosper. It provides it with the ability to be persistant in the face of drought, over grazing, etc. There are some forms of fescue that have friendly, aka novel, endophytes that serves the same function without the drawbacks. The enodphyte free forms of fescue just don't do well enough and aren't persistant enough to be of much use.
High endophye fescue in most cases wouldn't be my first choice for a pasture, but we still plant it in some areas. In some areas if it wasn;t for endophyte infested fescue there wouldn;t be any cattle production.

dun