Encore implant?

Help Support CattleToday:

I found some information for you comparing the two implants.

ENCORE®
Ivy Animal Health
Estradiol
Est 43.9
CONTROLLED RELEASE IMPLANTS
ACTIVE DRUG INGREDIENT: Each ENCORE® silicone rubber implant contains 43.9 mg estradiol and is coated with not less than 0.5 mg of oxytetracycline powder as a local antibacterial.
For subcutaneous ear implantation in steers and heifers only.
INDICATIONS: For increased rate of weight gain in suckling and pastured growing steers; for improved feed efficiency and increased rate of weight gain in confined steers and heifers. Do not use in veal calves. Effectiveness and animal safety in veal calves have not been established.
USE: An ENCORE Controlled Release Implant will provide an effective daily dose of estradiol for at least 400 days. No additional effectiveness may be expected from reimplanting in less than 400 days.
DIRECTIONS: Insert one implant under the skin of the ear as directed in this leaflet.
When to Implant ENCORE:
Suckling steers
At castration or later
Pastured growing steers
At weaning or later
Finishing steers and heifers
At arrival in feedlot
WARNING: Keep out of reach of children.
A withdrawal period has not been established for this product in pre-ruminating calves. Do not use in calves to be processed for veal.

RALGRO® IMPLANTS FOR BEEF CATTLE
Intervet/Merck Animal Health
IMPLANTS IN CARTRIDGES for Beef Cattle
CAUTION: Do not use in bulls intended for reproduction or dairy animals. Do not use before 1 month of age or after weaning in heifers intended for reproduction. Edema of the vulva and udder, teat elongation, rectal and vaginal prolapse, and signs of estrus may occur when heifers are implanted. Delayed testicular development may occur in young males. To avoid difficulty in castration, young males should be castrated at the time of implanting.
Dosage: 36 mg zeranol
A single pull of the RALOGUN® trigger delivers the proper 36-mg dose (three-12-mg pellets per chamber). Manufactured by a non-sterilizing process.
Restricted Drug (California), Use Only as Directed.
WARNING:
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SALVAGE IMPLANT SITE FOR HUMAN OR ANIMAL FOOD. IMPLANT PELLETS IN THE EAR ONLY. ANY OTHER LOCATION IS IN VIOLATION OF FEDERAL LAW. A WITHDRAWAL PERIOD HAS NOT BEEN ESTABLISHED FOR THIS PRODUCT IN PRERUMINATING CALVES. DO NOT USE IN CALVES TO BE PROCESSED FOR VEAL.
DIRECTIONS FOR USING RALGRO® IMPLANTS IN CARTRIDGES WITH THE RALOGUN® PELLET INJECTOR
RALGRO (zeranol) is an anabolic agent that increases rate of weight gain and improves feed conversion of weaned beef calves, growing beef cattle, feedlot steers, and feedlot heifers. RALGRO also increases rate of weight gain of suckling beef calves. Do not use in veal calves.
Effectiveness and animal safety in veal calves have not been established. RALGRO pellets are stable when stored between 2° and 25°C (36° and 77°F). RALGRO pellets each contain 12 mg of zeranol. Three pellets are required for 36-mg dose

Thanx lane but when they mean at time of castration do they mean at 1 to 2 months :???: That is when i would be doing it

pricefarm from what i understand you can use most of the implants on heifers kept for replacements as long as you do it between 45 days and weaning but i dont know why the reason is that you cant

Redsimangus... I went to the Elanco website and it doesn't give a minimum age for the implant. I myself wouldn't be concerned using the Encore implant on a calf on a month old calf.

The rule with implants and heifers is try not to implant any heifer that you want to save for breeding. But if you decide to keep one that you did implant once you can still keep her if you gave her two rounds of implants don't keep her.

The hormones in the implants makes them act like bulls and messes with their cycles making it harder to breed them.

Latest posts