EN$

Help Support CattleToday:

dt34715

Reaction score
What number do you look for in the EPD? Is this very important?
I am just trying to get a little education on this.

Cow Energy Value ($EN) expressed in dollar savings per cow per year, assesses differences in cow energy
requirements as an expected dollar savings difference in daughters of sires. A larger value is more favorable
when comparing two animals (more dollars saved on feed energy expenses). Components for computing
the cow $EN savings difference include lactation energy requirements and energy costs associated with
differences in mature cow size.
Theres the definition, pretty much says smaller frame cattle higher $EN if you look through the sire directories thats pretty much what happens with the #s there.
I personally dont even look at that EPD, I dont have small cattle and for now have plenty of pasture. There are places you have to be careful with stocking rates so it may become an issue.(expected dollar savings difference in daughters of sires) With this part of it, if your not retaining hefiers, it would make that EPD even less important.

I don't have a fast and hard number. I start by knowing the breed average numbers.
Breed average $EN -9 $W 47 $F 45
$EN is only of value on animals retained for breeding.
$F is only of value on animals fed out.
$W applies to entire calf crop. 100% is the weighted value I put on $W since I plan on weaning 100% of my calves
$F at 50% bcs I plan to feed out the steers
$EN at 33% bcs I expect to retain 2/3 of the heifer crop for replacements (50% of calves are heifers 50 x .66 = 33%)

example:
IF I select a sire that is -20 EN (bottom 20%) I am losing $11 of breed average 33% of the time 11 x .33 = $3.63
So the sire I select must be at least $4 above breed average on $W combined with $F just to stay even

Because I want to make genetic progress, I calculate to stay above the top 20% epds.
$W 60
$F 63
$EN 5

If a sire hurts me on $EN he has to at least make it up on $W and $F or he is off the list.
Ideally all of the epds would be as high as possible.
But we don't live in an ideal world and compromises have to be made.
$ weaned is 3 times more important to me than $EN and twice as important to me as $F
But that's just me, depending on your goals you are well within your rights to say, 'that's a load of crap'.

This EPD is the one that has been discussed in relation to the RB Tour of Duty bull. His had a very low $EN value but pretty much all the rest are through the roof.

KW