emryo transfers

Help Support CattleToday:

NCSU Maverick

Reaction score
What is involved with putting the embryo into the recip. cow? Do the embryo's come in straws like semen? Do you use an AI gun or something else?

I used an embrologist, I dropped the cows off and picked them up in 60-days. I still really don't know the whole procedure but 3 out of 5 stuck.

The cow has to be set up to receive the embryo. You use an embryo gun alot like an AI gun. Yes they are in straws.

What do you mean by "set up?"

So could a person who is already AI'ing their cows purchase embryos and do some ET without much trouble?

When transfering embryos you set up your cow for flushing with a superovulation protocol this is also a synchro. You also set up recips at the same time synchronizing them to be in heat at the same time as the donor cow. This will put the embryos in a similar uterine enviroment to the one they just came out of. most embryos are 4-6 days post breeding. your recips should be that many days post heat. As for implanting, yes and no. There are differences, you need to be able to tell which ovary has the C.L. on it then drop the embryo in that uterine horn. Next you have to be very careful not to upset the uterus as a little trauma will cause a poor conception rate.

Beef11, thanks for your input.

I understand the basics, I was just curious as to some of the details. Not really interested in flushing anything, I was just wondering what all was involved in transplanting.

I am assuming you just palpate for CL? what if an embryo was put into the opposite horn?

Latest posts