Emotional attachment

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't get a attached to them. I guess because they aren't mine. Around Christmas one of the herd bulls came up lame the week before he was to be sold. His herd was dwindling down in numbers and everything else on the place was his offspring. The decision was made to euthanize him. I presented the idea of taking him to the packer. It was shoot down because they couldn't take the thought of eating him. I said what about slaughtering him and donating the meat. That was also shot down. I was more bothered that he went to waste then he was dead. He was fine bull and easy to handle. I enjoyed working with him. He was like a good co-worker to me but that's the end of it.

There's a bunch of my cattle that I will admit I'm emotionally attached to, and then others that I would let go in a heartbeat if they missed calving once. In particular, I have one line of cows that is exceptional.. the mother of them all (born 1991, hereford) was one of the heifers we bought when we started, and the first to come up to you, became halterbroke, and gave me 13 calves, I've kept 3 heifers from her, and still have 2... Of those two, one is the oldest (Saler X)in the herd at 17 years old, expecting her 16th calf, and weans 700 lb heifers that look really good. We were going to put her down last fall since she has some arthritis in a hip, but circumstances just prevented it, so I've got her on some anti-inflamatory meds, and she is with the heifer calves so she doesn't need to walk as much and compete for food. She's been a great cow to work with and has never had an ounce of trouble... Her sister is the one I just brought to the vet (See my "Spooked Cow?" thread), while her performance hasn't been stellar, it's because of her I've discovered deficiencies in my feed, and she was the one that showed them the most, so her troubles weren't all her fault. She raises the best steer calves anyone could want, drops a 140 lb calf without a sweat, and gives about 5 gallons of milk a day (and lets you take some). So she got the benefit of a vet visit since she's ailing with something, and the vet had to say she was the best cow he's ever worked with. Meanwhile her daughter's first calf was born at 110 lbs, and weaned at 680... I have some high hopes for her in the future... If her mother give me any more problems, I will sell her, but the great granny will die on the farm... Often, if a cow has been good for such a long time (usually about 15 faithful years), we'll let her have a year of "retirement" before putting her down... This old one isn't taking any retirement though.
Cattle from other bloodlines I have gotten to like as well, but nothing quite like that line.. they just have something special about them.

I don't currently have any dogs or cats, and have never had horses.. but I can certainly say I'm closer to my cattle than I've been to any other pets. I've had to let some I really regretted go, while others have kicked the bucket prematurely.

So I look at it as having pets that pay their way... they do have to be good animals, I don't mind a small calf the first time, but I expect the following ones to be improved.. I won't put up with anything that gives me too much work.. fencebusters, the ones that go the wrong way every time, stupid mothers, or anything that's a hazard to my health. Well... I have some great producing cows who are witches and I'm just waiting for them to mess up... they probably never will though

dun":25979c81 said:
Just because you're sad when one dies or you have to ship it doesn;t mean you're "emotionally attached"
I've only had to shoot one dog. A beagle, she was on the bed (she wasn;t allowed to be there) and my wife told her to get down and the dog ignored her. She reached for her collar to pull her off and she bit my wifes hand enough to draw blood. 5 minutes later we went rabbit hunting and as she ran infront of me I blew her dam head off.

Thats cold

Better dead than rehoming the dog & having it injure someone else, possibly a child. There was is no excuse for aggressive behavior like that.

Another thing is that just because you're emotionally attached, doesn't mean you can't do what needs to be done... Every year I hate to see some of the calves go through the sale ring, but I do load them up and bring them there... $75/cwt was sure a kick in the pants 6 years ago for some of the ones I had to let go

As a hater of cats for most of my life, I was surprised when we got cats to help discourage the snakes around here. I'll have to admit that I was attached to two of them that apparently used up all of thier nine lives.

As far as cattle, we had one that was almost family until she got a little too agressive with her affection towards me. I guess we didn't share the same kind of feelings for each other. As a result, Ya all may have met, or et her down at your local walmart.

When we took her in to have her preg tested she went ballistic and clobbered me. After that I realized that I wasn't that attached to her. I tried to take her to the slaughter house but they were closed so I dropped her off at the local salebarn with instructions to send her to slaughter. I didn't want anyone else to experience her temper and be hurt or killed.

In retrospect, I thought about selling all of our cattle and getting back into chickens as chickens aren't as likely to hurt ya. Fortunately for the cattle, I got over my resentment towards that ole cow and and we've been just as happy as if we had good sense since then.

In retrospect, I thought about selling all of our cattle and getting back into chickens as chickens aren't as likely to hurt ya. Fortunately for the cattle, I got over my resentment towards that ole cow and and we've been just as happy as if we had good sense since then.

We keep some chickens on our place. The "big" chickens are lovely to work with. However, son has a flock of silkie banties, and the cock of that walk is vicious -- very aggressively defends his hens -- and he'll fly right up in your face, feet first! I refuse to deal with him; hubby gives him the football treatment. I swear he has Kevlar under those feathers, because no amount of punting deters him.

Kathie, have you tried a deadly choke hold on him. I don't care how much kevlar he is wearing, it won't protect him. Good eatin! :lol2:

Fly-guy":xh1mf17l said:
Kathie, have you tried a deadly choke hold on him. I don't care how much kevlar he is wearing, it won't protect him. Good eatin! :lol2:
Like I said, I don't deal with that little shyyt at all! And he's not mine to ax. I respect property rights. HOWEVER, if he ever flew in my face again with feet-first, I'd club him. Once was enough.

I have a 53 mature birds right now and if one becomes aggressive towards a human, they become dinner. Aggressive behavior in chickens gets passed down just like cattle. Cull baby cull.

slick4591":3ogfxpny said:
I have a 53 mature birds right now and if one becomes aggressive towards a human, they become dinner. Aggressive behavior in chickens gets passed down just like cattle. Cull baby cull.
Slick -- He ain't mine to cull! We are not saving any eggs now for hatching. Once the banties are back in their normal, non-winter quarters, away from our laying hens and alright rooster, I might collect some eggs and let the banties set them. Am not interested in pro-creating that snotty guy.

I don't like the Rooster atack's either. We've had six raised here and every one has attempted to atack my wife or seven year old Granddaughter. When I hear about it I just grab the 4.10 and that solves the problem.

I had a bull that I had really strong emotions about that I finally had to part ways with this last week :( ... I hated that little c!@#sucker with a passion. And while I know that we like to believe that animals share our emotional atatchment to them and it is usually not the case, I'm pretty sure he hated me as much as I hated him. We've had a good time chasing each other around in the rocks for the last two years with him pretending that he was going to kill my dogs and me trying to get close enough to get a rope on him.
With such strong emotions involved, it was hard for me to haul him in and I really thought about humanely destroying him at the ranch since it seemed only fair to him that he should meet his end at my hand and may have done so in a weak moment but I know that he would have wanted his death to mean something more so he made a direct contribution to our food chain once he finally decided it was time and came down to the corals by his own decision.
I've decided to put the procceeds from his untimely death towards feed costs "for the children" so that his progeny can continue to thrive.

We had a Barred Rock rooster that was a football for us for years... I have never seen a rooster with lungs like his... he'd crow every couple of seconds, right beside you and a visitor trying to have a conversation... you'd have to stop talking. He'd pretend he was finding something on the ground when you were looking, and when you had your back turned he'd come at you... we laid boot to him over and over again and he kept coming back for more, and as soon as you stopped booting him, he thought he won, and he'd crow some more

Kathie in Thorp":1lqbp85s said:
slick4591":1lqbp85s said:
Slick -- He ain't mine to cull! We are not saving any eggs now for hatching. Once the banties are back in their normal, non-winter quarters, away from our laying hens and alright rooster, I might collect some eggs and let the banties set them. Am not interested in pro-creating that snotty guy.

I was watching a show on the food channel last night and they were eating Silkies. Apparently they have a black skin and their meat actually has a blueish color to it. The are also apparently pretty tasty. They did say they were little gamey though!

Nesikep":r7f2vlf1 said:
We had a Barred Rock rooster that was a football for us for years... I have never seen a rooster with lungs like his... he'd crow every couple of seconds, right beside you and a visitor trying to have a conversation... you'd have to stop talking. He'd pretend he was finding something on the ground when you were looking, and when you had your back turned he'd come at you... we laid boot to him over and over again and he kept coming back for more, and as soon as you stopped booting him, he thought he won, and he'd crow some more

Sounds like that guy was campaigning to be the guest of honor at the Sunday dinner table.

Latest posts