elk head mount (need advice!)

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
So I have this elk head:

20150606_075035_zpsezv1vxeg.jpg

Any thoughts on the best way to put this on the wall? I'd be willing to remove the majority of the skull and work with the poll and antlers if that's the best option.

Thanks!

I mounted one like that (although mine was a moose head) above the fireplace at my old house. I used two lag screws screwed into lag shields that I mounted in the brick joints. (Two keeps it straight vertically.) Used thin gauge wire to attach the skull to the heads of the lag screws. What's your wall material? Craig

I think it's just dry wall. Thanks Craig.

Where/how did you attach the wire to the skull?

Two of the heavy duty drywall anchors will hold it. One probably will, so I'd use two just in case. Fix you some wire or hooks on the back of the top part of the skull.

Figured someone would mention that tater. :p The wall was painted somewhat recently...

I'm part way done staining the antlers. I've got this one and a couple others that need finishing as they're bleached and dry. I'm thinking about glue and plaster to fix up the skull... I picked up a few tips from some of the sports/taxidermy forums and am pretty optimistic. I'll post a pic when I'm done.

If this link works... here's one of the antlers next to the head we're discussing.

20150606_224206_zps18a441dd.jpg

The moose was bleached out same as the elk.

Latest posts