Eletric fencing

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have 5 acres of pasture i doin 1 or 2 show steer for 4-h i thinking of doin and eletric fence 3 or 4 wires will this be good enough to keep the steers in it right along a street with a little bit a cars. :D

I won't recommend only 3 wires (electric or heavy duty barbed wire) for a pasture with a road running beside it. Can you say LIABILITY?

Cuz

fiddletownrancher":13jpkl8p said:
I have 5 acres of pasture i doin 1 or 2 show steer for 4-h i thinking of doin and eletric fence 3 or 4 wires will this be good enough to keep the steers in it right along a street with a little bit a cars. :D

I wouldn't recommend electric fencing for perimeter fences - electric fences are more of a psychological barrier than a physical one, and too many things can drive cattle through them. For perimeter fences, I would recommend a good, strong 5 or 6 strand barbed wire fence.

After watching 400lb calf go right through a 5 strand bw fence (pulled tight) - I think if cattle want out, they are gonna get out no matter what type fence you have. I've got both. We have real small place and they break bw all the time trying to feed through the fence. So far so good with the High Tensile. No "feed throughs" thats for sure!!

for a perimeter fence i would go with cattle wire with an offset hot wire on the inside.JMO

Latest posts