Elbon Rye

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
Elbon Rye is $13.10 for fifty pounds. Think I am going to put out 50 lbs to the acre with a John Deere B drill with single disc openers. Should work if we get any rain. This will be on a pasture that I cut for hay and now is bone dry dead. Any advice at all

Thats a good price. It should work as planned. I planted about 30% of my acreage. Decided to wait to do anymore because of how dry the soil is and still not much chance of rain.

My county is going under extreme drought. I am going to be forced to early wean some calves next week and cull a few cows.

bird dog said:
Thats a good price. It should work as planned. I planted about 30% of my acreage. Decided to wait to do anymore because of how dry the soil is and still not much chance of rain.

My county is going under extreme drought. I am going to be forced to early wean some calves next week and cull a few cows.
Miss typed the price should have been $15.10 dollars per fifty lbs

bird dog said:

The weather here has been the same for the this year and last year. Lots of rain to the extent you did have a window to bale any hay. Field stayed to wet to get the equipment across with out bogging down. Then Middle of June light rain a little cutting could be done. Middle of July about 1.5 inches could not tell it two days later and then done up to this time and still waiting. Should have bought some crop insurance at the NRCS office.

The lady at the FSA office told me on Wednesday that their hearing rumors that we may have drought programs starting up again in some counties including Navarro where I am at. I may need it as I am already feeding some hay.

Its funny you read a bunch of the cattle publications and they preach to save on hay cost, you need to retain forage. That is pretty tough to do when it hasn't rained since early July. Right now I'm just trying to retain the body scores on my cows.

bird dog, I am in freestone county and feel your pain. sprinkled ten minutes ago, just enough to mess up my windshield. I also am waiting to reseed my pastures. Good luck

Agree with GA prime. 50lbs is fine for a cover crop, but I would double that for grazing. Only hesitation is moisture. You won't be happy with the expenditure if it stays dry.