Effects of feeding soyhulls on developing heifers.

Help Support CattleToday:

FL2TX

Reaction score
Hello-
I need some really smart people to help me out here...
The owner of the cattle operation I manage has read that the estrogen in soy is harmful to the natural development of heifers. He has requested that no soy by-products be added to the supplemental feed. He also has the same mindset in the use of cotton seed hulls. Trying to find a cattle feed to help grow young heifers and bulls without these two ingredients may be challenging.
Is this a reasonable concern to have? If so, what is the solution?
Thanks

Lucky_P":2lyo4rpk said:
https://books.google.com/books?id=p20YAgAAQBAJ&pg=PT90&lpg=PT90&dq=soyhull+meal+heifer+development&source=bl&ots=YfzqFZXB_d&sig=7nX9T5-qnzbBZk2XQnqVsMc4WGs&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CCAQ6AEwAGoVChMIpcGexMS7xwIVxtCACh0LmAmX#v=onepage&q=soyhull%20meal%20heifer%20development&f=false
No statistically different effect from feeding soyhulls vs whole cottonseed or corn+SBM

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewc ... lscifacpub
Only noted reproductive effect of feeding whole soybeans vs wcgf was longer time (76 hrs) to standing heat following prostaglandin injection in estrus synch program.

Glad you commented. Half of my feed is soy hulls.

Activity of phytoestrogens is variable - some are evidently more 'potent' than others.
That said, the amount of estrogenic compounds absorbed from the GI tract is a miniscule fraction of what's actually ingested.

Just like all the hoopla/hysteria over 'hormones' in beef from implanted steers... about 1.9 nanograms of estrogenic activity per 3-4 oz. serving... but beef(think hamburger) from an intact cow or heifer has about 75X that amount... but both pale in comparison to the over 1,000,000 nanograms of estrogen in 3oz of soybean oil.
Folks who blame beef for obesity,early puberty in kids, and 'cancer' are barking up the wrong tree.

Thanks for all the info folks! However, I didn't see anything in the articles directly addressing the estrogen in the feedstuffs.... is that just a given as to the purpose of the studies or are they addressing the fat? Any other thoughts? Anyone have opinions on the estrogen containing feeds?

Red clover also has estrigeb and can cause issues with fertility in range maggots. Our breeding season pastures are from 50-75% red clover and we've had no problems. The breeding season pastures are also the ones we raise our relacement heifers on from weaning till breeding season.
We don;t do anything specail and have never had issues with bloat either. They poof up some but a good long fart or dump and they return to normal shape.

FL2TX,
I've never seen any allegations in the literature (not to say that they're not circulating, unsubstantiated, among lay folks) that phytoestrogens in soybeans or soyhulls have any adverse effect on heifer development.
Studies linked above certainly don't demonstrate any significant adverse effects on reproduction. I believe that your employer is worrying about a problem that doesn't exist.

Latest posts