Edmund Fitzgerald

Help Support CattleToday:

I cant even begin to appreciate the terror.
Spent my teenage years in the Marquette area in Michigans UP.
Lake Superior is a force unto itself and not to betaken for granted. Even in summer it is not welcoming water, the rest of the year it is downright inhospitable.

I have sailed a 25 foot sail boat alongside some of these big guys in channels and they are a miracle of human engineering.
Also been on the lake when I could see how a tragedy like this could happen.

Lightfoot was born in my wifes hometown. Great Canadian songwriter. My favourite line in the song is " Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours...? "

Celtic Cowman":vooy5n6h said:
I have sailed a 25 foot sail boat alongside some of these big guys in channels and they are a miracle of human engineering.
Also been on the lake when I could see how a tragedy like this could happen.

Lightfoot was born in my wifes hometown. Great Canadian songwriter. My favourite line in the song is " Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours...? "

Excellent composition. One of those songs in which the lyrics rise above the music.

I don't fit the mold for my age group but I've loved that song since the very first time I ever heard it. Terrible story it tells.

Brilliant lyrics. I agree, a rough way to go. There is a scene in the movie The Perfect Storm where they show one possible scenario of what happened during the sinking of the Andrea Gail. As some of the crew are trapped inside after she sunk, one says that it is going to be hard on his son. Makes you want to hug your kids.

Live about 1/4 miles from Lake Superior and it is an unforgiving beast, I've seen some incredible waves crashing on the shore. I enjoy looking at it from land but have never felt the urge to take a boat out fishing like so many of my neighbors do.

Luca Brasi":201zh18j said:
Brilliant lyrics. I agree, a rough way to go. There is a scene in the movie The Perfect Storm where they show one possible scenario of what happened during the sinking of the Andrea Gail. As some of the crew are trapped inside after she sunk, one says that it is going to be hard on his son. Makes you want to hug your kids.
Couple years ago there was a shrimp boat that turned over off the mouth of the Mississippi river. It stayed afloat upside down for a few hours. The captain and on deckhand made it out. Two other crew didn't. One was trapped inside.The survivors clung on the bottom till they were spotted and rescued. For about 45 minutes they could hear they trapped crew man beating and banging from inside the steel hull. There was nothing they could do about. I talked to the Captain a few days later. Sickening tale he told. He committed suicide last winter. I'm not sure why but.......

I lost a brother in law off the mouth of the Columbia and several friends up in Alaska. I have been in the "green room" several times, it isn't a lot of fun. That line about the waves turning minutes into hours is really true.

Latest posts