ECP

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can find the drug fact sheet/manufacturing information on ECP (Estradiol Cypionate)? I ran a search on the 'net and came up empty-handed.

Thanks

Brock,

I tried Google, but not searching with those keywords...still, even with that link I'm still not coming up with the actual drug label info. Seeing plenty of info on ECP in relation to AI/timed breedings, and then plenty that's not related to cattle...

but not the drug label. Wouldn't think it would be so hard to find! I can access most labels off valleyvet.com or similar sites, but not this one.

Well...it's made by Pharmacia & Upjohn. I found mention of it on the Pfizer site, but no direct link and no label. Also no email or contact to Pfizer - of all things! - maybe if I could find that I could email them and ask them where I can find that info or if they could email it to me? Anyone know what the email contact for Pfizer is?

Milkmaid-
If you don't have any luck pm me and i will give you the pfizer rep for east texas and la. phone number. He would be able to help you.

milkmaid":2so7622r said:
Well...it's made by Pharmacia & Upjohn. I found mention of it on the Pfizer site, but no direct link and no label. Also no email or contact to Pfizer - of all things! - maybe if I could find that I could email them and ask them where I can find that info or if they could email it to me? Anyone know what the email contact for Pfizer is?

Somewhere in the google hits, I saw where Pharmacia was acquired by Pfizer. When I tried to go to Pharmacia, I always ended up at Pfizers site. Found some apparent links on the Pfizer site for ECP (to pharmacia.com/@#$&*%, etc,etc) but they got nothing. Appears things got lost in the cracks with one mega-conglomerate devouring another. And this was supposed to be a good thing for consumers???? Go figure.
I hope you find it somewhere or maybe Pfizer rep can help.

Gotta' run

go-pokes-osu":u9xse270 said:
Talk to your vet, I'm sure he/she has one and would be happy to let you borrow it.

He might. I'll have to swing by the clinic tomorrow or early next week and see. I just prefer to avoid bothering him with every little question that I think up, if there's a way to get the answer on my own. ;-)

All I'm trying to find is a copy of the label, use, action, etc. Closest thing I've come across so far is the Material Safety Data Sheet:

---------------- MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET ---------------
ECP(R) STERILE SOLUTION
Upjohn
-----------------------------------------------------------
REVISION DATE: July 01, 1994
AGENT ID#: 31954
1. CHEMICAL PRODUCT AND COMPANY IDENTIFICATION
COMMON NAME: ECP(R) STERILE SOLUTION
SYNONYMS: 471023 - EDP NUMBER
MOLECULAR FORMULA: MIXTURE
USE: Veterinary product used to correct anestrus, to treat
persistent corpus luteum, to expel purulent material from
the uterus, and to stimulate uterine expulsion of
retained placentas and mummified fetuses in cattle. Not
for human use.
MANUFACTURER/SUPPLIER:
THE UPJOHN COMPANY

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/pharmacy/msds/ecp.htm

Seems it can be used in a AI/timed breeding program as well...everything I've come across says it's cheaper than GnRH, easy to get, part of the Heatsynch program, etc, but the product label is nowhere to be found. Didn't think it would be that hard to locate.

And just so it's clear...yes I'm looking for the horse/cattle drug. Didn't realize until I ran a search for it that it has a lot of uses, and not all of them related to animals. :lol:

Can't link it, but here's a paste of the text. Looks like you might need to substitute "female dog" where it says "be nice".

PHARMACIA & UPJOHN COMPANY
Division of Pfizer Inc.
235 E. 42ND ST., NEW YORK, NY, 10017
Telephone: 616-833-4000
Fax: 616-833-4077
Customer Service: 800-793-0596
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information published. However, it remains the responsibility of the readers to familiarize themselves with the product information contained on the product label or package insert.

ECP® STERILE SOLUTION

Rx

Pharmacia & Upjohn

NDC 0009-0616-02

estradiol cypionate

For Use in Animals Only

Caution: Federal (USA) law restricts this drug to use by or on the order of a licensed veterinarian.

DESCRIPTION

This is the oil-soluble 17b-cyclopentylpropionate ester of "alpha" estradiol. It provides estradiol-17b, believed to be most potent of the naturally occurring estrogens, in the form of the cyclopentyl-propionate ester, a highly fat-soluble derivative with profound estrogenic effect.

The sterile solution contains per mL: 2 mg estradiol cypionate, also 5.4 mg chlorobutanol anhydrous (chloral deriv.) added as preservative in 916 mg cottonseed oil.

ACTIONS

Comparative studies have demonstrated that estradiol cypionate produces estrogenic effects which are qualitatively the same as those produced by other estradiol esters.

INDICATIONS

ECP estradiol cypionate offers all of the functional activity of natural estrogenic substances with the advantage of a prolonged action.

The indications in bovine medicine are1:

To correct anestrus (absence of heat period) in the absence of follicular cysts.

To expel purulent material from the uterus in pyometra of cows.

To stimulate uterine expulsion of retained placentas and mummified fetuses.

CONTRAINDICATIONS

As with all products of this nature, a complete examination to determine the status of the reproductive tract should be undertaken prior to administration of this drug. Pregnancy may be the prime reason for either anestrus or the persistence of the corpus luteum. Since pregnancy may be terminated by estrogens, ECP estradiol cypionate is contraindicated where a desired pregnancy exists.

WARNING

Estrogens used in the canine may produce a gradual anemia and a profound leukocytosis which is followed by leukopenia.2 Thrombocytopenia may result with a concomitant alteration in the clotting mechanisms. First gross signs of alteration of the clotting mechanisms would include petechial and/or ecchymotic hemorrhage of mucus membranes and may result in frank hemorrhage in some animals. The possibility of endometritis and pyometritis following the use of estrogens is always present in the bitch. It has been demonstrated that endometrial hyperplasia is produced more consistently when estrogen and progesterone are given to the bitch.3 Theoretically then, estrogen given during late estrus or in metestrus in the presence of endogenous progesterone, which is being produced at near maximal rate by the recently developed corpora lutea, could result in endometrial proliferation and pyometra.

Not for human use.

ECP is intended for use only in cattle used for breeding purposes.

PRECAUTIONS

Administration of an estrogenic substance to an animal may result in development of follicular cysts.4

In the case of prolonged persistence of the corpus luteum in cows, thorough examination should also be made of the uterus to determine the presence of an endometritis or a fetus. Use of appropriate antimicrobial agents, in addition to ECP estradiol cypionate should be considered if endometritis exists.

In the absence of normally developing follicles on the ovaries, estrus may be produced, but ovulation may not accompany estrus.

Because it is impossible to determine exactly if and when ovulation may occur in treated females during an induced heat period, it may help to breed the female frequently throughout the induced heat periods in order to improve the possibility of conception.

Repeat breeding will improve the chance conception only if ovulation occurs.

ADVERSE REACTIONS

Prolonged estrus, precocious development, genital irritation, follicular cysts, and a reduction of milk flow may occur following estrogen therapy, frequently as a result of overdosage. If any of these phenomena are observed, the dosage should be reduced accordingly.

ANESTRUS IN CATTLE

Reports have suggested that frequently cows with a follicular cyst may be more inclined to be anestrual than nymphomaniac.5,6 Many cows will recover spontaneously from anestrus (if due to follicular cysts) if less than 60 days postparturient.6 In cases of anestrus due to follicular cysts, estrogens are not usually indicated.

Frequently, anestrus or follicular cysts have developed in association with a marked loss in body condition due to disease or high milk production.6

Anestrus in conjunction with a persistent corpus luteum probably reflects some interference with normal function of the uterine endometrium. Pregnancy must be considered as a cause of the persistence of the corpus luteum. Prolonged maintenance of the corpus luteum has also occurred following hysterectomy or experimental induction of endometritis.7,8 It is doubtful that corpora lutea are retained indefinitely in cattle with normal uterine function.6,8 It has been demonstrated that some estrogen esters will cause regression of the corpus luteum in cycling, pregnant, or hysterectomized cattle.9 The response of the corpus luteum of pregnancy may differ with different estrogen esters. In the absence of a pregnancy or a detectable uterine malfunction, repeated rectal palpations will be required to establish a diagnosis of persistent corpus luteum. Although some estrogen esters may produce luteal regression, consideration of proper uterine treatment should also be given.

The proper diagnosis of anestrus without frequent rectal palpation is difficult since normal ovarian cycles can occur without accompanying estrus. It has been reported that such "silent heat" is more frequent at the first postpartum estrus.6

The induced estrus in cows or heifers may not be fertile. Regular cyclic activity may not follow an ECP estradiol cypionate induced estrus.

DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION

Sterile Solution ECP estradiol cypionate is for intramuscular injection only in cattle intended for breeding. The doses should not exceed 4 mg (2 mL). Doses for cows may be repeated, if necessary, in one week. Do not overdose.

The use of ECP as a supplemental source of estrogen in the bovine has been found beneficial in the following conditions1:

Anestrus, pyometra, retained placenta, mummified fetus.

HOW SUPPLIED

ECP estradiol cypionate is available as 2 mg per mL - Supplied in 50 mL vials

Store at controlled room temperature 20° to 25°C (68° to 77°F) [see USP]. If this product is exposed to temperature of less than 7°C (45°F), some constituents of the vehicle will solidify. If this should occur, warm the vial to room temperature before using.

REFERENCES

1. Morrow, D.A.: Current Therapy in Theriogenology: diagnosis, treatment and prevention of reproductive diseases in animals. W.B. Saunders Co. (1980). Anestrus p. 195; Pyometra p. 191; Retained placenta p. 187; Mummified fetus p. 245.

2. Crafts, R. C.: The Effects of Estrogen on the Bone Marrow of Adult Female Dogs. Blood 3:276-285 (1948).

3. Tenuissen, G. H. B.: The Development of Endometritis in the Dog and the Effect of Oestradiol and Progesterone on the Uterus. Acta Endocrinologica 9:407-420 (1952).

4. Wiltbank, J. N., J. E. Ingalls, and W. W. Rowden: Effects of Various Forms and Levels of Estrogens Alone or in Combination with Gonadotrophins on the Estrous Cycle of Beef Heifers. J. Anim. Sci. 20:341 (1961).

5. Bierschwal, C. J.: A Clinical Study of Cystic Conditions of the Bovine Ovary. JAVMA 149:1591 (1966).

6. Morrow, D. A., S. J. Roberts, K. McEntee, and H. G. Gray: Postpartum Ovarian Activity and Uterine Involution in Dairy Cattle. JAVMA 149:1596 (1966).

7. Wiltbank, J. N. and L. E. Casida: Alteration of Ovarian Activity by Hysterectomy. J. Anim. Sci. 15:134 (1956).

8. Lynn, J., E. H. McNutt, and L. E. Casida: Effects of Intrauterine Bacterial Inoculation and Suckling on the Bovine Corpus Luteum and Uterus. Am. J. Vet. Res. 27:1521 (1966).

9. Wiltbank, J. N.: Modification of Ovarian Activity in the Bovine Following Injection of Oestrogen and Gonadotrophin. J. Reprod. Fert., Suppl. 1:1 (1966).

Pharmacia & Upjohn Company

Kalamazoo, Michigan 49001, USA

Revised September 2001

811 410 204

0616-02

Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information published. However, it remains the responsibility of the readers to familiarize themselves with the product information contained on the product label or package insert. NAC No.: 10490151

Latest posts