Easy Pasture Profit !

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog":tyqby0gq said:
I easily make 200 a year picking up black walnuts, which usually takes me approximately 72 hrs, "we're in the money"!
thats the truth! but the right walnut logs are a different story

Guy I helped last winter had 3 windmills on his pastures. He said they paid about $700 a month. His sister has about 30 on her property. She rents him the pasture pretty cheap. She has enough money coming in from the windmills that she isn't interested in running cows anymore.

True Grit Farms":nx0v0z12 said:
I'll stick with hunters and pine straw harvesters, at least I can tell them to get the heck off my property. A cell tower by the road would sure be nice through.

Might be too close to help you with your cell signal tho. Parked right beside 1 one time and couldn't even get 1 bar.

Just came home from checking my fall calving cows. We had 8-10" of rain a couple weeks ago and there was water over an oil lease road in my pasture. Well, they 'fixed' their road sometime in the past day or so. They brought in a backhoe? maybe, it was a tire machine. Instead of hauling in gavel, the bas****s took a strip of top soil off my pasture about 8 feet wide and 30-40 feet long. Simply scraped up about 6 inches and hauled it down to the bottom of the hill to repair the washed out spot in the road. I am beyond angry. I found the president of the company email address and sent him a picture and my thoughts. Oh yeah, they took the soil off a side hill up at the top so it'll wash really nicely.

Chocolate Cow2":2dtpqno2 said:
Just came home from checking my fall calving cows. We had 8-10" of rain a couple weeks ago and there was water over an oil lease road in my pasture. Well, they 'fixed' their road sometime in the past day or so. They brought in a backhoe? maybe, it was a tire machine. Instead of hauling in gavel, the bas****s took a strip of top soil off my pasture about 8 feet wide and 30-40 feet long. Simply scraped up about 6 inches and hauled it down to the bottom of the hill to repair the washed out spot in the road. I am beyond angry. I found the president of the company email address and sent him a picture and my thoughts. Oh yeah, they took the soil off a side hill up at the top so it'll wash really nicely.
That's just wrong! So now they're going to have to spend 3 times the $$$ to repair/replace.

Chocolate Cow2":1p3g9txi said:

They don't have any right to be off their easement, I would be collecting some serious damages for that.

Dave":bq4o77i9 said:
Guy I helped last winter had 3 windmills on his pastures. He said they paid about $700 a month. His sister has about 30 on her property. She rents him the pasture pretty cheap. She has enough money coming in from the windmills that she isn't interested in running cows anymore.

700 each or for all 3?

they are trying to build them here but the town has been fighting them for over 15 years.

ddd75":72chrdkr said:
Dave":72chrdkr said:

700 each or for all 3?

they are trying to build them here but the town has been fighting them for over 15 years.

It is $700 per wind mill per month.

Dave":15hhg195 said:
ddd75":15hhg195 said:
Dave":15hhg195 said:

700 each or for all 3?

It is $700 per wind mill per month.

hard to say no to that

Idaho Power is going to build a big power line through here. Crossing the neighbor he wants them to take a different route than they would like to go. His route is over a mile longer. They offered him an extra million dollars to go their route. I am pretty sure he didn't pay a million dollars for the entire place when he bought it 25 years ago.

TCRanch said:
Lot of black gold in KS & OK. Royalties are nice, don't get me wrong, but you also have to deal with spills, leaks, EPA, County Officials, pumpers that leave gates open (clearly ignoring the KEEP GATE CLOSED signs), ruts, tearing up your pastures, you have to have an iron clad legal contract, deal with utility companies, moving cattle at the most inconvenient time, fences down/broken and rig workers of questionable character (including records). Just to name a few. ;-)

TC, that sums it up perfectly. Nice but everything has a cost.

Dave said:
Idaho Power is going to build a big power line through here. Crossing the neighbor he wants them to take a different route than they would like to go. His route is over a mile longer. They offered him an extra million dollars to go their route. I am pretty sure he didn't pay a million dollars for the entire place when he bought it 25 years ago.

Right place at the right time.

TCRanch said:
Chocolate Cow2 said:
TC-around here gates are out of the question when it comes to oil pumpers. Cattle guards only. Those guys will not get out of a truck to open or close a gate. ain't gonna happen. I don't have a corral in any pasture where there is a cattle guard. Too much risk of cattle theft. I have a portable corral that's set up, used to move the cows, then folded up and brought home. Give those guys an inch and they'll take a mile. They'll throw trash out in the pasture. Some of those rubber pipe plugs really attract the interest of the cows. I've followed one while she was chewing on it and finally dropped the thing. If she would have swallowed it, I believe it would have eventually killed her. I carry a rifle when I'm checking cattle in those pastures 'cause like you said, you've got no idea who you might encounter. Lots of wind towers to the east of me and while I'm not crazy about them, they appear to carry less risk as far as dealing with people. We did have one implode and burn up. Set some pastures on fire. Guess you gotta pick your poison.
The trash!!! :mad: :mad: Went out the gate in the south pasture a couple weeks ago & discovered tracks in the mud all along the road. Immediately did a complete inventory of the herd & all were accounted for so evidently the gate was left open, they grazed along the road & eventually went back into the pasture (my girls know they've got a good thing going on here). Sent pics to the pumper & busted his chops. Is this a regular occurrence? Just happened to be muddy that day so the evidence was clear. So now there's a lock on that gate, mainly as a reminder for him & anyone else that needs access to SHUT it. They wanted to install cattle guards and we refused for the same security reasons but damned if you do, damned if you don't. :bang:

We negotiated (after unfortunate experience) a $2000 per accurance on any tracks PERIOD off designated roadways. Filled our overhead a few times... Now no issues with that.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Dave said:

Right place at the right time.

But he is turning them down! Told them that after a while the money would be gone but the power line would still be there. He is in his 80's and pretty well off, but if I were his grandson we would be talking.....

TCRanch said:
Lot of black gold in KS & OK. Royalties are nice, don't get me wrong, but you also have to deal with spills, leaks, EPA, County Officials, pumpers that leave gates open (clearly ignoring the KEEP GATE CLOSED signs), ruts, tearing up your pastures, you have to have an iron clad legal contract, deal with utility companies, moving cattle at the most inconvenient time, fences down/broken and rig workers of questionable character (including records). Just to name a few. ;-)
TC you must be dealing with some pretty low life folks. We've never had any of those problems.

TexasBred said:
TCRanch said:
TC you must be dealing with some pretty low life folks. We've never had any of those problems.
Teeth are optional, especially when it comes to the guys pushing the rigs. Fortunately now that everything's up & running (and fixed multiple times) we mainly only have to deal with the pumper. We did have a little come-to-Jesus and reached an understanding. He's a huge guy, former military, open carries and probably not used to landowners calling him out. I think a lot of the problem is the oil company that now owns the lease is in TX (just outside Houston) so there's quite often a lack of communication & subsequent delay resolving any issues. The other problem is (presumably) meth heads trying to steal copper or anything of value, hence a lot of repairs & wells down.

Latest posts