Eastern calves.

Help Support CattleToday:

longtimelurker

Reaction score
Bought a load of Pennsylvania calves today. 453# for $93. From a jockey no less can't wait to see these gems. Every now and then it is fun to gamble, the fun is seeing what I'm gonna get when they come off the truck. Kinda like Christmas presents from people you don't know.

Those folks in Pa. are a little different, longtime. They have a rattlesnake roundup there and then let the snakes loose after it's over. They're animal lovers I guess. Could play in your favor..:D

If I was selling those calves that would be a good price to get, Pa calves (at least in my area) dont get much over 1.00 per pound on good calves on a good day.

northwestern calves: for black angus steers around 500-600, prices are 115-125. for black angus heifers with the same weight, prices are around 1.00-1.10 or almost the price of steers. in my area, most producers are keeping their heifers for replacements. it seem in my area that there are a lot of shortage of cows and heifers(mainly). heifers are like gold or oil, but hereford polled steers and heifers are much cheaper by 15-20 cents lower.

uscangus":1xmocluo said:
northwestern calves: for black angus steers around 500-600, prices are 115-125. for black angus heifers with the same weight, prices are around 1.00-1.10 or almost the price of steers. in my area, most producers are keeping their heifers for replacements. it seem in my area that there are a lot of shortage of cows and heifers(mainly). heifers are like gold or oil, but hereford polled steers and heifers are much cheaper by 15-20 cents lower.

Oh those poor people that don't know good cattle . My advice, buy all the Herefords you can if they are that much cheaper.They taste just as good,& remember,every calf deserves a white face.............. :cboy:

HEREFORD ROADHOG":vjyzsznp said:
My advice, buy all the Herefords you can if they are that much cheaper.They taste just as good,& remember,every calf deserves a white face.............. :cboy:

All the good Hereford heifers, then put a black bull on them and you'll get some great calves that sell as well as the blacks, if not better(in my area sometimes those BWF bring more than the solid blacks).

Katherine

longtimelurker":255y05ru said:
Bought a load of Pennsylvania calves today. 453# for $93. From a jockey no less can't wait to see these gems. Every now and then it is fun to gamble, the fun is seeing what I'm gonna get when they come off the truck. Kinda like Christmas presents from people you don't know.

Are you backgrounding and then finishing them ? I am sure your jockey knows what you want ,let us know what you get. Hey even post pics if you get a chance.

hillsdown":15zjxv8w said:
longtimelurker":15zjxv8w said:

Are you backgrounding and then finishing them ? I am sure your jockey knows what you want ,let us know what you get. Hey even post pics if you get a chance.
Feeding them out for kill. Never have done business with this man before. I had been buying all my own over the last several years. This could be real bad or real good. The last time I bought New York cattle they looked good, healthy, and growey but they were bone breakers. Craziest thing I ever seen.

Latest posts