Earthworms

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
The weather around here has been VERY warm, and WET.. This morning it's 54F and foggy. The earthworms have been loving it, and I have never seen so many.. walking the 100 ft from the shop to the house you gotta pay attention to not step on them, and they're HUGE.. every one of them is 10" long and 3/8" around.. and VERY strong.

No, we're on well drained ground.. seems like they're just coming up for a stroll...

If I were a fishing kinda guy...

What's surprising is that where there's the most of them, it's horrid, it's mostly gravel! Somehow they can worm their way through that stuff though.. We do have some nice soil, but it's only about 50% of the place.. and in some of the nicest soil we don't really have any worms... go figure

I turned the chickens loose. They're scratching up worms all over the lots. Grubs and army worms aint gotta chance either.

Nesikep":fuj2f46k said:
What's surprising is that where there's the most of them, it's horrid, it's mostly gravel! Somehow they can worm their way through that stuff though.. We do have some nice soil, but it's only about 50% of the place.. and in some of the nicest soil we don't really have any worms... go figure

They've done their job and have moved on?????????

Ken

They either decided to secede from BC or they're comin up to welcome all the US celebrities they heard were enroute.

It took the hens a while to figure out they were edible... I think they were just out for a stroll, Didn't see to many today, it's cooling off and not as wet anymore

You can take a chain saw crank it up and hold it firmly on the ground and rev it and hold it there and the worms will pop out of the ground

Nesikep, My guess is you have applied chemicals on the richer soils and that has killed the earth worms. I could be wrong.

Nesi, sounds like you have found your action shot entry for the photo contest. Not much chance of a blurred picture.

City Guy":2dlksijc said:
Nesikep, My guess is you have applied chemicals on the richer soils and that has killed the earth worms. I could be wrong.
hasn't happened in the last 3 decades (since we has the place)

Alan.. I think I got another funny pic for the "action" photo contest

Nesikep, Now you've got me curious. Thirty years without chemicals and no earthworms? Unless you're not counting chemical fertilizer, that's a great mystery. Rich soil, according to my "book learnin', should be well populated with earthworms--15-20 holes per square foot. What is wrong? Maybe they just don't come up as often, ya think?

lavacarancher":3q4cg3hm said:
Chuckie":3q4cg3hm said:
When they come to the top of the ground like that, they are looking for a date.

I thought worms didn't have to "date" another worm. They can do it to themselves? :roll:
You got earthworms mixed up with certain 'humans'...

Latest posts