Early Winter

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer":3d6d9x5w said:
....Temp was down to 28 this morning- only up to 39 now with 30-40 mph NW winds...Few snowflakes off and on in the air...Tonite they say temps in the low 20's...

Weather boys say this should blow thru by Sat with temps back in the 70's-and 80's by Sunday and Monday- but today is downright chilly...

Being down here, (Tennessee), when I see how ya'll's weather fluctuates it makes me wonder how ya'll don't have a cold 75% of the time.

CUZ":1kvt12qo said:
Oldtimer":1kvt12qo said:
....Temp was down to 28 this morning- only up to 39 now with 30-40 mph NW winds...Few snowflakes off and on in the air...Tonite they say temps in the low 20's...

Weather boys say this should blow thru by Sat with temps back in the 70's-and 80's by Sunday and Monday- but today is downright chilly...

Being down here, (Tennessee), when I see how ya'll's weather fluctuates it makes me wonder how ya'll don't have a cold 75% of the time.

:lol: :lol: Actually I'm usually sicker in the hot time of the summer when the dust and pollen get bad...The temp fluctuations don't bother too much- altho the older I get the more I feel the wet cold in my arthritic joints...

Now is my favorite time of the year-- I love a beautiful long Indian summer after it freezes hard and the skeeters and flys disappear...I'm going to start cutting the last cutting of hay this weekend- and will probably have to wear a jacket or vest early in the morning...

Drove through Custer, SD last Sunday at 5 pm. Just north of town it was 33 degrees and snowing all the way to Hill City. I didn't think much of it, being from Wyoming, but I guess it hadn't done that here in September for 25 or 30 years, according to some locals.

Of course, they may not see any more precip until January. Cold either, based on the last few years.

Cuz you should have been in West Yellowstone Montana a few days ago they broke a record set back in the 1940's. They hit 18 degrees.

I luv herfrds":3h1c2v3s said:
Cuz you should have been in West Yellowstone Montana a few days ago they broke a record set back in the 1940's. They hit 18 degrees.

I guess one of ya'll need to come this way and help me figure it out. Seems like this is the way it works for me.

Morning temp 45 degrees, dress accordingly. Go out and work up a good sweat doing something throughout the day and jacket and extra shirt come off. 2:30 pm temp 74 degrees, down to Tee shirt . About 5:30 temp is dropping towards the 50's, but still hot so just t-shirt. Breeze blows and sweaty t-shirt makes me chilly, so put back on extra shirt. If it blows hard enough jacket goes back on. 9:30 pm start wiping snotty nose.

Alright, where's the flaw?

Oldtimer":16yf8oms said:
Yeah they've really had a run of shooting incidents over there...

Our bunch of yahoos got caught--some got sent back to Mexico- one is in jail on $50000 bond...He's trying to claim he is (and got some paperwork) from California and not illegal...But he can't speak English (altho I understand his eyeballs lit up when he was told he could go to prison for 20 years ;-) :roll: )...

We never had any foreign invader problems-until after the June hailstorm and then all the fly by night roofing outfits moved in- and were using illegals for labor...I don't know why they stick around because after a couple raids by the Sheriff and immigration rounded up about a dozen--the word got around and most local folks canceled their contracts- as they want nothing to do with companies that hire illegals....

There is a God of Justice...I just heard the other day that the Colorado contractor that had been sub contracting all these roofing and siding jobs that were hiring illegal invaders called up the local law enforcement because he hadn't heard from and couldn't get ahold of any of his workers...

Turns out that not only was he furnishing them vehicles, equipment, and materials--but before they got deported many of them had taken cash payments for the jobs they were doing- and got the payments that were supposed to go to this greedy snidely contractor before they got shipped back to Mexico- besides the wages they had received.... ;-) :lol: :lol:

Now he's trying to find his vehicles and equipment-- has no idea who or what some folks already paid (altho there is enough of them to more than prove that his subcontracted employees had collected contracted funds- and some have company receipts- signed by one of the illegals and cancelled checks :???: )- has half done and unfinished jobs all over town with folks threatening to sue if he doesn't get them a roof by cold weather.... ;-) :lol: :lol:

Greed finally caught up to one-- and I'll bet there is a big party going on down in some part of Mexico with some Mexican boys laughing about their former dumb gringo patron....

Highwood mountains south of us had a good snow on them over a week ago.
Rained again yesterday. Winter wheat is looking good so far. A couple of light frosts so far.
Wish the hubby would turn on the furnance it is sure cold in this house.

dun":8601qaot said:
Oldtimer":8601qaot said:
Thats one good thing about our weather is that it keeps a lot of the riff raff out...First snowstorm or 20 below day and most are usually on a fast track south... ;-) :lol:

Call me Riff or Raff or both, I don;t care, but it would keep me out too.

Yes, I don't know if the Chamber of Commerce would want you to be their winter spokesmodel! I don't care for cold of that magnitude. I have never been in it, and I don't care to. Coldest it gets around here, not counting wind chill, is about 8 or 10 degrees F. That is extremely rare. Maybe one day a winter, and that is the low.

Well- the partner is just baling up the last of the 3rd cutting hay today....Need to get it baled before the snowballs start flying...Not too much there- but good alfalfa hay....We usually don't mess with a 3rd cutting, but we're a little short of hay since the hailstorm completely wiped out what was going to be our first cutting...

The good news around here is that I haven't seen any major flights of Geese, ducks, or cranes going over yet....Waterfowl season opened yesterday- and the hunters were telling me that all they were finding were mostly the local birds....
When them birds start heading south-- than we know the Canucks are stirring up some weather for us.... :roll: ;-) :lol: