Early weaning?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
who has had a successful early weaning? How old do calves need to be for a successful weaning, how did you start your calves and on what? Would you ever do it again? Would you wean 200+ with good protection and working corrals being alone most of the time? Looks like the hand writing is on the wall for us with this drought, just thinking if we could keep some till maybe July and wean some hfr. calves to keep some of our genetics ?? We are not new at this, been on this place for over 40 years and seen some dry years but this is the worst for us! Thanks 101

Just curious--where are you???
(no drought here right now, and Ark/east Okla seem to be pretty wet from the recent pics I seen.)

graybeard central South Dakota, sorry i had left that out, glad your getting rain, 94* now and short on moisture will stop what little has started here. Cows are really starting to move here now, big pairs sale in Philip SD tomorrow so will see how it goes. Good luck 101

94 deg in S. Dakota???
We haven't had a day over 85 yet, and Va is forecast for hard frost. Looks like we may hit 86 tomorrow tho, with a chance of more rain wed.
Hope things change weatherwise for you 101--I hate seeing drought anywhere. No matter where it is or how far off, it hurts us all.

I buy flyweight salebarn calves and background them. Prefer 175-200# minimum, but think age is more critical than weight. 60-75 days of age is ok but 90 days is better. Be best to vac and process them about 3 weeks before weaning. Would strongly recommend they be vaccinated for mycoplasma in addition to the normal respiratory vaccines. Use fenceline weaning if at all possible. Would also be good to creep feed them for a couple of weeks before weaning so they already know how to eat feed. My calves get free choice grass hay and all of the corn gluten/soyhull mix they will eat for at least 3 weeks after weaning. Their ration needs to be fairly high in energy so they can fight any infections. After 3-4 weeks, when they are definitely healthy you can switch them to whatever feed/forage you may have available as long as it meets their nutritional needs.

Do a google search for "early weaning calves". Lots of good info.

Thanks much Texas PaPaw for your thoughts on how many days old you feel they should be!! Just wanted to hear from someone that has done it, I hear ya on up to date shots and also know a little on the dang mycoplasma, went threw that one year, will try to learn more on corn gluten and soyhull mix, thanks again PaPaw for your help. 101

Latest posts